Martha Cook Building (University of Michigan) records
University of Michigan. Martha Cook building.
Box / Drawer
York & Sawyer, architecture firm. Construction begun in 1911, completed 1914. Located on a block between South University Avenue and Tappan Avenue. The Martha Cook Building was erected as a residence for women, a gift of William Wilson Cook ('80) in honor of his mother, Martha Walford Cook. Land to the east of the original building site (the old Condon home) was purchased in 1918 as a garden area.
Garden replanted in 1921 by Samuel Parsons of New York City. Statue of Portia above door was sculpted in marble in the Piccirilli Studio, N.Y.; donated by Cook in 1918.
UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. William L. Clements bldg. no. 327
Photographer / Artist
George R. Swain (Ann Arbor, MI)
Albert Kahn Associates, architecture firm. Construction began in 1922 and the building was dedicated on June 15, 1923. Located on South University next to the President's House. At the time of construction, the West Physics Building was standing to the north. Building and collection of rare books donated by William L. Clements, University Regent.