Athletic Department (University of Michigan) records
University of Michigan. Athletic Dept.
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
1933 football squad posed on practice field, from 1933 game program
Front Row: George Rudness, Estel Tessmer, Lee Shaw, Louis Westover, Arthur Patchin, Lawrence Ratterman, Richard James, David Hunn, Eli Soodik, George Bolas, Antone Dauksza, Winfred Nelson, Herbert Paulson, Howard Triplehorn, D. King Lewis, ? Hall
Middle Row: Captain Stan Fay, William Renner, Henry Raymond, Hilton Ponto, Robert Wells, James Kidston, John Kowalik, Russell Oliver, Oscar Singer, Carl Savage, Chester Beard, John Regeczi, Herbert Schmidt, William Borgman, Steve Remias
Back Row: Herman Everhardus, Sylvester Shea, (William?) Rygg, Willis Ward, Tom Austin, Charles Bernard, Francis Wistert, Donald McGuire, Harvey Chapman, Willard Hildebrand, John Viergiver, Russell Fuog, Wallace Frankowski, Fred Petoskey, Roy Semeyn, Robert Swanson, Gerald Ford
Note: IDs taken from typed caption attached to original print, some player number does not match number in game program, either players are wearing incorrect jerseys, or there was some misidentification in the caption.
UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Institute for Social Research Bldg. (Catherine St., built 1891) no. 209.
Chamberlin & Austin, architecture firm. The easternmost of two similar buildings built in 1891 on Catherine St. (The western building had a straight north facade; this building a rounded north facade). From 1925-1927, the western building housed the Convalescent Ward. From 1891-1900, the eastern building housed the Allopathic Hospital (also called University Hospital); 1900-1925, the Surgical Ward; 1925-1944, the East Convalescent Ward; 1944-1950, the Rapid Treatment Center; and 1950-1965, the Institute for Social Research. It was removed in 1965.
Architects are Albert Kahn of Detroit, in consultation with William Warner Bishop, the first head librarian of the new building. Built between 1916 and 1920 on the site of the old library. The new building incorporated two fireproof book stacks built in 1898 from the older building. Additional stacks were built at right angles to old stacks between 1916-1918 by Selden Breck contractors. In 1918 the old library was demolished and a new front (north facade) was attached to the 1893 stacks and the stacks built in 1916-1917. This was referred to as the (New) General Library until the south stack addition was built in 1967-1970 and the entire library building was named the Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library.
Image shows west stack. Photograph mounted on linen. From construction photo album received by Buildings and Grounds.