Chamberlin & Austin, architecture firm. Two similar buildings built in 1891 on Catherine St. (The western building had a straight north facade; the eastern building had a rounded north facade). From 1891-1900, the western building housed the Homeopathic Hospital (also called the Medical Ward) and the eastern building housed the Allopathic Hospital (also called University Hospital). The western building was destroyed by fire in 1927 and the eastern building was removed in 1965. From 1891-1897, a small building between the two hospitals was used as a heating plant. In 1898, this building was renovated and served as a nurses residence until 1916.
Two images mounted on album page.
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.
Regents purchased south ten acres for $3000 in 1890. In 1902 UM received seven acres of land to the north from Dexter M. Ferry; became Ferry Field. In 1904 brick wall constructed on three sides and in 1906 gate and ticket office at northeast corner added (gift of Mr. Ferry). Wooden stands to accommodate 400 put up in 1893; burned in 1895. Rebuilt to seat 800 with later additions to facililties. By 1914, 13,600 accommodated. New stadium built in 1927.