description accompanying photograph: One of the high spots in Clinton's history was to buy new instruments for the Clinton Band. It was a great success in every way, and something like six hundred dollars, a lot of money in those days, was cleared. Crowds came from neighboring towns, special trains bringing many, and it was one of the greatest events of the kind ever held in Southern Michigan. One feature of the celebration was a fine parade and this picture shows some of the Indians and people in old time costumes who were in the parade. The picnic was held just south-east of the village, in a large grove (cut down years ago, and no traces left) on the John S. Clark farm. The picture was taken on East Chicago St., in front of the lot now occupied by the George W. Freese residence (1959) Now David Van Tuyles. From left to right, those in costume are Mrs. James B. Hause, Charles Ward, John Henry, Mrs. Fred Kilby, (the four Indians on horses), standing in the wagon are Mrs. Jacob Smith, Mrs. Darius St. John, Mrs. David H. Silvers, Mrs. Alonzo Clark, Mrs. Ella GrayRose. Mrs. Frank D. Lancaster, Mrs. William W. Demuth, Mrs. Byron O. Randall, Miss Mary Keyes, Mrs. Melissa Nimmocks. Standing-James B. Hause, (chauffeur), Mrs. Welcome V. Fisk, Mrs. C. F. Field, Mrs. George A. Kies, Miss Ida Davis, Mrs. Frank Couch, Mrs. Edwind R. Smith, Mrs. James B. Wells, Daniel R. Gibson, Fred Kilby (on horse). Mrs. Kilby and Mrs. Wells are the only persons shown in the picture who are now living.
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.