Built in 1923 by Smith, Hinchman & Grylls Associates, this structure was designed for indoor track events and intercollegiate sports, particularly football, baseball, basketball, and track athletics. Originally named the Yost Field House after U-M football coach Fielding Harris Yost (1921-1941), the building was remodeled in November of 1973 and renamed Yost Ice Arena.
Administration Building on right in background. Wall on right extends along State St.
Richard Harrison Bull, architect. Detroit Observatory completed in the summer of 1854. Residence wing for the director added in 1868, expanded in 1905-1906, and finally removed to facilitate the enlargement of Couzens Hall in 1954. East wing, with a larger dome and a more powerful telescope, begun in 1908 and completed in 1909; torn down in 1976. Named "The Detroit Observatory of the University of Michigan" until 1931 when it was changed to "The Observatory of the University of Michigan." In 1999, the name was officially changed to "The University of Michigan Detroit Observatory." The Students' Observatory was erected in 1878. It was located to the south of the Detroit Observatory. In 1908, it was moved to a different location to make room for construction of the east wing of the Detroit Observatory.
On verso: "J. M. S. March 31, 1888." In another hand: "John Martin Schaeberle. Acting Director of Observatory."
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.
Aviation Cadets listening to a Michigan vs. Ohio State Football Game
University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
Bentley Historical Library (collector)
Folder / Container / Volume
UBImusE27b. Folder: U of M & World War II Army units, miscellaneous. no.360
On verso: Public Relations Office. Army Air Forces Pilot School (Basic) Greenwood Army Air Field, Greenwood, Mississippi. Press release attached to rear of photo. Begins with: "Michigan is badly outcharging Ohio State," said the radio sports announcer. The reason for the pleased expressions on the faces of these four former Michigan university students ... left to right: Aviation Cadets Joseph H. Hellman, 20, of Brooklyn, N.Y.; Norman S. Tea(?)han, 22, of Schnectady, New York; Harold A. Nefe, 23, of Frankenmuth, Michigan, is standing by the radio. James Oliver Nordlie, 20, of Detroit, Michigan is sitting to the right of Cadet Nefe.
Students in front of Hill Auditorium, appeared Michigan Alumnus magazine, April 1960
Alumni Association (University of Michigan) records
University of Michigan. Alumni Association.
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
Albert Kahn and Ernest Wilby, architects. Constructed on the site of the old Winchell House on North University Avenue. The building was completed in 1913 and is named after Regent Arthur Hill, who bequeathed more than half the cost of the building. Originally seated an audience of 4,300 and housed the original Frieze Memorial Organ from 1913-1928. When the organ was replaced, the name was retained. The building was renovated from 2002-2004 by Albert Kahn Associates (Project Architects & Engineers) and Quinn Evans/Architects (Historic Preservation Architects).