Observatory is near Lake Angelus, Michigan (five miles north of Pontiac). 24" reflecting telescope began operations in July 1930; also included a 10 1/2" reflector. Established and deeded to the University of Michigan by Robert R. McMath, Francis McMath, and Judge Henry S. Hulbert. An additional 50' tower telescope was added in 1935/1946 and 70' tower telescope and office building added in 1940.
On verso: "Kodatone; Nov - 7 1935; Eastman Kodak Stores; Detroit."
Harris Hall, first called Hobart Hall, was built by the St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in 1886 for the Hobart Guild of Episcopal students. In 1946 the building was leased to the University of Michigan for use of the Band and Wind instrument departments of the School of Music. Located on the northwest corner of State and Huron.
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.
Building of the Burton Memorial Tower, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
Bentley Historical Library (collector)
Folder / Container / Volume
UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Burton Memorial Tower and Charles Baird Carillon. no. 146
Photographer / Artist
Donald E. Beebee
Albert Kahn Associates, architecture firm. Dedicated on December 4, 1936. Named for Dr. Marion LeRoy Burton, University President from 1920-1925. The carillon in bell chamber was donated in 1935 by Charles Baird, a former athletic director and University graduate of the class of 1895.
Photographer : Donald E. Beebee, student of Journalism, 1937 graduate. Donor # 3692.