Demolition of Haven Hall (Old Law School / General Library Building), Ann Arbor, MI, August 14-15 / HS9611
About this Item
- Demolition of Haven Hall (Old Law School / General Library Building), Ann Arbor, MI, August 14-15
- Collection Title
- James Leach Photonegatives
- Collection Creator
- Leach, James.
- Box / Drawer
- Folder / Container / Volume
- B + C , Construction & Demolition, Shartzer Wrecking Co. (1)
- Jordan & Anderson, architecture firm. The Law Building was built in 1863 on the corner of State Street and North University Avenue. In 1863 it was occupied by the Law School, the University Chapel (until 1873) and the General Library (until 1883). Renovated and enlarged in 1893 and then again in 1898 by architects Spier and Rohn of Detroit, Michigan who removed the tower and added a new south wing. Renamed Haven Hall in 1933 when the Law School moved to Hutchins Hall in the Law Quadrangle. Haven Hall then became one of the major buildings of the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, with space given to the Departments of History, Sociology, Journalism, and the Bureau of Government and its library collection. Extension Division also had offices in Haven Hall. The building was destroyed by fire in 1950.
- Haven Hall (University of Michigan)
- University of Michigan--Buildings--1941-1950
- Demolition--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Universities & colleges--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Item Number
- Scan Source
- 3.6 x 4.7 inches Original Neg
- Bentley Historical Library
- Date Added/Updated
- 2016-03-12 04:19:23
- Image Size
- 7600 x 5794
- File Size
- 2 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
This image may be protected by copyright law.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"Demolition of Haven Hall (Old Law School / General Library Building), Ann Arbor, MI, August 14-15; HS9611". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/b/bhl/x-hs9611/hs9611. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed November 30, 2022.