Chemical Laboratory Building, summer 1937 / HS729



file_download Download image 109 x 144 (JPEG) 218 x 289 (JPEG) 436 x 579 (JPEG) 872 x 1158 (JPEG) 1744 x 2316 (JPEG)

About this Item

Record Details

Chemical Laboratory Building, summer 1937
Collection Title
Ivory Photo photograph collection
Collection Creator
Ivory Photo (Firm)
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
UM Buildings: Chemical Laboratory Building, 18-43
A. J. Jordan, architect. Built in 1856. First chemical laboratory at a state university. Building served medical students and others as both laboratory and classroom. Situated just west and south of the original medical building. Additions made to the one-story building in 1861, 1866, 1868, 1874. In 1880 a two-story addition was added. In 1890, a three-story wing was added to the west of the original structure and was designed by E. W. Arnold of Detroit. A final addition was constructed in 1901. With the completion of the West Medical Building (later renamed the Dana Building) in 1903 and the Chemistry Building in 1909, the laboratories were transferred from the original Chemical Laboratory. In 1908, it became the Economics Building with Pharmacology occupying the north wing. Destroyed by an arson fire Christmas Eve 1981.
Item Number
Finding Aid
Scan Source
Original Neg
Bentley Historical Library
Date Added/Updated
2016-03-15 01:20:04

Technical Details

Image Size
1744 x 2316
File Size
489 KB
Link to this Item

Rights and Permissions

Creative Commons License
© Regents of the University of Michigan. This work is subject to a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License


Cite this Item

View the Help Guide for more information.

Full citation
"Chemical Laboratory Building, summer 1937; HS729". University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed September 28, 2022.