Shot 9-9A: Ruins of the Economics Building following fire, 1981 / HS7248
About this Item
- Shot 9-9A: Ruins of the Economics Building following fire, 1981
- Collection Title
- University of Michigan News and Information Services Photographs
- Collection Creator
- University of Michigan. News and Information Services. Photographs.
- Box / Drawer
- Folder / Container / Volume
- Economics, 1981 fire
- Photographer / Artist
- Robert Kalmbach (UM News & Information Services)
- A. J. Jordan, architect. Built in 1856. First chemical laboratory at a state university. Building served medical students and others as both laboratory and classroom. Situated just west and south of the original medical building. Additions made to the one-story building in 1861, 1866, 1868, 1874. In 1880 a two-story addition was added. In 1890, a three-story wing was added to the west of the original structure and was designed by E. W. Arnold of Detroit. A final addition was constructed in 1901. With the completion of the West Medical Building (later renamed the Dana Building) in 1903 and the Chemistry Building in 1909, the laboratories were transferred from the original Chemical Laboratory. In 1908, it became the Economics Building with Pharmacology occupying the north wing. Destroyed by an arson fire Christmas Eve 1981.
- Economics Building (University of Michigan)
- University of Michigan--Buildings--1981-1990
- Fires--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Universities & colleges--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Item Number
- Scan Source
- 9.6 x 7.5 inches Photo Print
- Bentley Historical Library
- Date Added/Updated
- 2016-03-15 00:53:53
- Image Size
- 4500 x 5818
- File Size
- 1 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
© Regents of the University of Michigan. This work is subject to a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. Individuals depicted in an image may retain personal pbulicity rights. If you have questions about the image or collection, please contact the BHL-Reference Dept. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, pleasecontact BHL-Image Bank.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"Shot 9-9A: Ruins of the Economics Building following fire, 1981; HS7248". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/b/bhl/x-hs7248/hs7248. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed March 29, 2023.