Exterior of Haven Hall, ca. 1950 / HS4994



file_download Download image 162 x 165 (JPEG) 325 x 331 (JPEG) 650 x 663 (JPEG) 1301 x 1326 (JPEG) 2602 x 2652 (JPEG)

About this Item

Record Details

Exterior of Haven Hall, ca. 1950
1950 (ca.)
Collection Title
University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
Collection Creator
Bentley Historical Library (collector)
Box / Drawer
UBImus D13-196
Folder / Container / Volume
Campus Buildings, Haven Hall, 1898-1950
Jordan & Anderson, architecture firm. The Law Building was built in 1863 on the corner of State Street and North University Avenue. In 1863 it was occupied by the Law School, the University Chapel (until 1873) and the General Library (until 1883). Renovated and enlarged in 1893 and then again in 1898 by architects Spier and Rohn of Detroit, Michigan who removed the tower and added a new south wing. Renamed Haven Hall in 1933 when the Law School moved to Hutchins Hall in the Law Quadrangle. Haven Hall then became one of the major buildings of the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, with space given to the Departments of History, Sociology, Journalism, and the Bureau of Government and its library collection. Extension Division also had offices in Haven Hall. The building was destroyed by fire in 1950.
Item Number
Finding Aid
Scan Source
2.2 x 2.1 inches Photo Print
Bentley Historical Library
Date Added/Updated
2016-03-12 00:42:32

Technical Details

Image Size
2602 x 2652
File Size
342 KB
Link to this Item

Rights and Permissions

This image may be protected by copyright law.



Cite this Item

View the Help Guide for more information.

Full citation
"Exterior of Haven Hall, ca. 1950; HS4994". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/b/bhl/x-hs4994/hs4994. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed November 27, 2022.