Bird's-eye view of Detroit Observatory with dirt roads / HS4138



file_download Download image 171 x 135 (JPEG) 342 x 270 (JPEG) 685 x 540 (JPEG) 1371 x 1081 (JPEG) 2742 x 2163 (JPEG) 5484 x 4326 (JPEG)

About this Item

Record Details

Bird's-eye view of Detroit Observatory with dirt roads
Collection Title
Observatory (University of Michigan) records
Collection Creator
University of Michigan. Observatory.
Richard Harrison Bull, architect. Building completed in the summer of 1854. Residence wing for the director added in 1868, expanded in 1905-1906, and finally removed to facilitate the enlargement of Couzens Hall in 1954. East wing, with a larger dome and a more powerful telescope, begun in 1908 and completed in 1909; torn down in 1976. Named "The Detroit Observatory of the University of Michigan" until 1931 when it was changed to "The Observatory of the University of Michigan." In 1999, the name was officially changed to "The University of Michigan Detroit Observatory."
Aerial views;
Item Number
Scan Source
7.2 x 9.1 inches Photo Print
Bentley Historical Library
Date Added/Updated
2016-03-12 06:31:02

Technical Details

Image Size
5484 x 4326
File Size
2 MB
Link to this Item

Rights and Permissions

This image may be protected by copyright law.



Cite this Item

View the Help Guide for more information.

Full citation
"Bird's-eye view of Detroit Observatory with dirt roads; HS4138". University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed November 27, 2022.