The Law Library (in Haven Hall) / HS15209



file_download Download image 244 x 183 (JPEG) 489 x 367 (JPEG) 979 x 734 (JPEG) 1958 x 1468 (JPEG) 3916 x 2937 (JPEG) 7832 x 5874 (JPEG)

About this Item

Record Details

The Law Library (in Haven Hall)
Collection Title
University of Michigan at Ann Arbor : photo-gravures
Collection Creator
University of Michigan at Ann Arbor : photo-gravures
Box / Drawer
FImu D11 U58 P575a
Jordan & Anderson, architecture firm. The Law Building was built in 1863 on the corner of State Street and North University Avenue. In 1863 it was occupied by the Law School, the University Chapel (until 1873) and the General Library (until 1883). Renovated and enlarged in 1893 and then again in 1898 by architects Spier and Rohn of Detroit, Michigan who removed the tower and added a new south wing. Renamed Haven Hall in 1933 when the Law School moved to Hutchins Hall in the Law Quadrangle. Haven Hall then became one of the major buildings of the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, with space given to the Departments of History, Sociology, Journalism, and the Bureau of Government and its library collection. Extension Division also had offices in Haven Hall. The building was destroyed by fire in 1950.
Item Number
Scan Source
4.8 x 6.5 inches photogravure
Bentley Historical Library
Date Added/Updated
2016-07-26 01:13:03

Technical Details

Image Size
7832 x 5874
File Size
9 MB
Link to this Item

Rights and Permissions

Creative Commons License
© Regents of the University of Michigan. This work is subject to a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License

More Item Details
Catalog Record

Cite this Item

View the Help Guide for more information.

Full citation
"The Law Library (in Haven Hall); HS15209". University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed December 05, 2022.