Students studying, Library, Haven Hall [Law Building] / HS1340



file_download Download image 171 x 134 (JPEG) 343 x 269 (JPEG) 687 x 539 (JPEG) 1374 x 1078 (JPEG) 2749 x 2156 (JPEG) 5498 x 4312 (JPEG) 10996 x 8625 (JPEG)

About this Item

Record Details

Students studying, Library, Haven Hall [Law Building]
Collection Title
University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
Collection Creator
Bentley Historical Library (collector)
Box / Drawer
UBImus C435-75
Folder / Container / Volume
Law Library, Haven Hall, Interiors
Jordan & Anderson, architecture firm. The Law Building was built in 1863 on the corner of State Street and North University Avenue. In 1863 it was occupied by the Law School, the University Chapel (until 1873) and the General Library (until 1883). Renovated and enlarged in 1893 and then again in 1898 by architects Spier and Rohn of Detroit, Michigan who removed the tower and added a new south wing. Renamed Haven Hall in 1933 when the Law School moved to Hutchins Hall in the Law Quadrangle. Haven Hall then became one of the major buildings of the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, with space given to the Departments of History, Sociology, Journalism, and the Bureau of Government and its library collection. Extension Division also had offices in Haven Hall. The building was destroyed by fire in 1950.
Item Number
Finding Aid
Scan Source
Photo Print
Bentley Historical Library
Date Added/Updated
2016-03-12 06:27:38

Technical Details

Image Size
10996 x 8625
File Size
5 MB
Link to this Item

Rights and Permissions

This image may be protected by copyright law.


Cite this Item

View the Help Guide for more information.

Full citation
"Students studying, Library, Haven Hall [Law Building]; HS1340". University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed December 07, 2022.