Phoenix Memorial Project 3/5 / BL005655
About this Item
- Phoenix Memorial Project 3/5
- Collection Title
- University of Michigan News and Information Services Photographs
- Collection Creator
- University of Michigan. News and Information Services. Photographs.
- Box / Drawer
- Folder / Container / Volume
- Photographer / Artist
- University of Michigan. News and Information Services.
- The Michigan Memorial Phoenix project started in 1948 to find peacetime applications for atomic energy. Originally, it included a laboratory, greenhouse, and the Ford Nuclear Reactor. The Michigan Memorial Phoenix Project building was completed in 1955 and designed by Cornelius Gabler. The greenhouse was replaced by an addition in 2013. The Ford Nuclear Reactor was built between 1955-1956 as an addition to the laboratory by architect Smith, Hinchman & Grylls Associates and deactivated in July 2003.
- Image shows UM Nuclear engineering students attending class at the Ford Nuclear Reactor. Charles Ricker, instructor in Nuclear Engineering, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, and Reactor Operator, describes the operation of the control panel.
- Ferguson, Homer, 1889-1982.
- Ricker, Charles William
- Ford Nuclear Reactor
- Michigan Memorial Phoenix Project
- University of Michigan--Faculty
- University of Michigan--Students
- Interiors--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Nuclear reactors -- Michigan -- Ann Arbor
- Universities & colleges--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Item Number
- Source of Title
- negative sleeve
- Scan Source
- Photo CD from 35mm b/w negative
- Bentley Historical Library
- Date Added/Updated
- 2012-11-25 01:12:10
- Image Size
- 2056 x 2048
- File Size
- 560 KB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
© Regents of the University of Michigan. This work is subject to a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. Individuals depicted in an image may retain personal pbulicity rights. If you have questions about the image or collection, please contact the BHL-Reference Dept. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, pleasecontact BHL-Image Bank.
- In public portfolios
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"Phoenix Memorial Project 3/5; BL005655". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/b/bhl/x-bl005655/bl005655. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed February 02, 2023.