Martha Cook Residence / BL005267
About this Item
- Martha Cook Residence
- 1940 (ca.)
- Collection Title
- University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
- Collection Creator
- Bentley Historical Library (collector)
- Folder / Container / Volume
- UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Martha Cook Building. no. 233
- York & Sawyer, architecture firm. Construction begun in 1911, completed 1914. Located on a block between South University Avenue and Tappan Avenue. The Martha Cook Building was erected as a residence for women, a gift of William Wilson Cook ('80) in honor of his mother, Martha Walford Cook. Land to the east of the original building site (the old Condon home) was purchased in 1918 as a garden area.
- Garden replanted in 1921 by Samuel Parsons of New York City. Statue of Portia above door was sculpted in marble in the Piccirilli Studio, N.Y.; donated by Cook in 1918.
- Martha Cook Building (University of Michigan)
- University of Michigan--Buildings--1931-1940
- University of Michigan--Student housing--1931-1940
- Dormitories--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Fences--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Universities & colleges--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Walkways--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Item Number
- Finding Aid
- Source of Title
- Scan Source
- 7 x 5 b/w photographic print
- Bentley Historical Library
- Date Added/Updated
- 2012-11-25 01:32:12
- Image Size
- 4803 x 3745
- File Size
- 2 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
This image may be protected by copyright law.
- In public portfolios
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"Martha Cook Residence; BL005267". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/b/bhl/x-bl005267/bl005267. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed December 09, 2022.