- The University Hospital
- 1891/1896 (ca.)
- Collection Title
- University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
- Collection Creator
- Bentley Historical Library (collector)
- Folder / Container / Volume
- UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Institute for Social Research Bldg. (Catherine St., built 1891) no. 209.
- Photographer / Artist
- Gibson, J. Jefferson
- Chamberlin & Austin, architecture firm. The easternmost of two similar buildings built in 1891 on Catherine St. (The western building had a straight north facade; this building a rounded north facade). From 1891-1900, the western building housed the Homeopathic Hospital (also called the Medical Ward) and the eastern building housed the Allopathic Hospital (also called University Hospital). From 1900-1925, the eastern building housed the Surgical Ward; 1925-1944, the East Convalescent Ward; 1944-1950, the Rapid Treatment Center; and 1950-1965, the Institute for Social Research. It was removed in 1965.
- Allopathic Hospital (University of Michigan)
- Catherine Street Hospital Group (University of Michigan)
- University of Michigan--Buildings--1891-1900
- Carriages & coaches--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Hospitals--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Universities & colleges--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Albumen prints;
- Item Number
- Finding Aid
- Source of Title
- Caption on mat
- Scan Source
- 9 x 6 photographic print
- Bentley Historical Library
- Date Added/Updated
- 2012-11-25 01:29:57
32373 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.
- Add to Portfolio
- In public portfolios
- Gibson Photos items: 109, owner: gkinney