Students walk near Haven Hall / BL005028
About this Item
- Students walk near Haven Hall
- Collection Title
- University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
- Collection Creator
- Bentley Historical Library (collector)
- Folder / Container / Volume
- UBImu D13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Haven Hall, (built 1952). no. 199
- Smith, Hinchman & Grylls Associates, architecture firm. Bryant & Detwiler, contractor. In 1951/1952 Haven Hall (south side) and Mason Hall (north side) were added to the east or diagonal side of Angell Hall.
- The original Haven Hall was named when the Law School moved into Hutchins Hall in 1933 and the Law Building was renamed Haven Hall. This building was destroyed by fire in 1950. In 1952, a new eight-story office building behind Angell Hall was constructed and given the name Haven Hall.
- Mason Hall was the first University of Michigan building devoted to instruction was known as the University Main Building upon completion in 1841 in time for fall classes. In 1849, a similar building called South College was constructed south of Mason Hall. University Hall (built 1871-1873) connected the two buildings, which then were referred to as South Wing and North Wing.
- In 1950, after the fire destroyed Haven Hall, the entire University Hall complex was removed to make room for the expansion of Angell Hall.
- Image shows southeast corner of building.
- Haven Hall (University of Michigan)
- Mason Hall (University of Michigan)
- University of Michigan--Buildings--1951-1960
- University of Michigan--Students--1951-1960
- Universities & colleges--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Walkways--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Item Number
- Finding Aid
- Source of Title
- Scan Source
- 5 x 4 b/w photographic print
- Bentley Historical Library
- Date Added/Updated
- 2012-11-25 01:27:41
- Image Size
- 4837 x 3386
- File Size
- 2 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
This image may be protected by copyright law.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"Students walk near Haven Hall; BL005028". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/b/bhl/x-bl005028/bl005028. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed November 27, 2022.