- Michigan Union Library
- Collection Title
- University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
- Collection Creator
- Bentley Historical Library (collector)
- Folder / Container / Volume
- UBImusD13. Folder: Michigan Union (built 1919), interior views. no. 247
- Photographer / Artist
- George R. Swain (Ann Arbor, MI)
- Allen B. and Irving K. Pond, of Chicago, architects. Construction for the Michigan Union began in 1916. Previously, the renovated residence of Judge Thomas M. Cooley was used as the Union clubhouse. Before the four-story building officially opened for student use in 1919, it was used in a partially finished state as a barracks for the Students' Army Training Corps. Several additions were made to the Union in the 1930's and 1950's.
- The library was completed in 1925 following a gift from Mrs. Edward W. Pendleton of Detroit in memory of her husband. His library was also donated.
- Swain's index to this image reads "Michigan Union Library."
- Verso: "G. R. Swain, 713 East University Ave, Ann Arbor, Michigan."
- Michigan Union
- Interiors--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Libraries--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Universities & colleges--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Item Number
- Finding Aid
- Source of Title
- G.R.Swain index notes
- Scan Source
- 9 1/4 x 7 1/4 b/w photographic print
- Bentley Historical Library
- Date Added/Updated
- 2012-11-25 01:31:38
30928 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image may be protected by copyright law.
- Add to Portfolio
- In public portfolios
- Centennial items: 175, owner: phmccune