East side of Engineering Shops / BL004623
About this Item
- East side of Engineering Shops
- Collection Title
- University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
- Collection Creator
- Bentley Historical Library (collector)
- Folder / Container / Volume
- UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. West Engineering Annex 1988-1900 (with clock added to tower) views. no. 321
- Photographer / Artist
- George R. Swain (Ann Arbor, MI)
- Gordon William Lloyd, architect. Constructed in 1885, occupied in 1886. Two additions were completed; the first in 1888 and the second in 1900. In 1918, clock and chimes were removed from the Old General Library and installed in the building's tower. In 1926, the building name was changed from Engineering Shops to West Engineering Annex. Architecture Dept. in east wing 1923-1927; Survey Dept. in east wing 1927; Auto Lab in west wing; part of Auto Lab destroyed by fire 1937. Removed in 1956 to allow for the construction of the Undergraduate Library.
- Image view is from northeast. Old West Physics Building is at right.
- Engineering Shops Building (University of Michigan)
- University of Michigan--Buildings--1911-1920
- Clock towers
- Towers--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Universities & colleges--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Walkways--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Item Number
- Finding Aid
- Source of Title
- Scan Source
- 10 x 8 b/w photographic print
- Bentley Historical Library
- Date Added/Updated
- 2012-11-25 01:28:02
- Image Size
- 7093 x 4800
- File Size
- 4 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
This image may be protected by copyright law.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"East side of Engineering Shops; BL004623". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/b/bhl/x-bl004623/bl004623. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed September 29, 2022.