- Engineering Shops
- Collection Title
- University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
- Collection Creator
- Bentley Historical Library (collector)
- Folder / Container / Volume
- UBImu D13. Folder: Campus Buildings. West Engineering Annex. 1888-1900 (addition with tower) views from northwest. no. 319
- Photographer / Artist
- George R. Swain (Ann Arbor, MI)
- Gordon William Lloyd, architect. Constructed in 1885, occupied in 1886. Two additions were completed; the first in 1888 and the second in 1900. In 1918, clock and chimes were removed from the Old General Library and installed in the building's tower. In 1926, the building name was changed from Engineering Shops to West Engineering Annex. Architecture Dept. in east wing 1923-1927; Survey Dept. in east wing 1927; Auto Lab in west wing; part of Auto Lab destroyed by fire 1937. Removed in 1956 to allow for the construction of the Undergraduate Library.
- On verso: "Swain #813 Spring of '97."
- Engineering Shops Building (University of Michigan)
- University of Michigan--Buildings--1891-1900
- Carriages & coaches--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Horses--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Towers--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Universities & colleges--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Item Number
- Finding Aid
- Source of Title
- Scan Source
- 10 x 8 b/w photographic print
- Bentley Historical Library
- Date Added/Updated
- 2012-11-25 01:28:10
31492 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.
- Add to Portfolio
- In public portfolios
- Centennial items: 175, owner: phmccune