- Views of Michigan University Ann Arbor
- 1850 (ca.)
- Collection Title
- University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
- Collection Creator
- Bentley Historical Library (collector)
- Folder / Container / Volume
- UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. South College. no. 284
- Mason Hall was the first University of Michigan building devoted to instruction was known as the University Main Building upon completion in 1841 in time for fall classes. It was both dormitory and classroom facility. It was named after Governor Stevens T. Mason in 1843. In 1849, a similar building called South College was constructed south of Mason Hall. In 1856 the central part of Mason Hall was renovated to house the University Library and Museums. University Hall (built 1871-1873) connected the two buildings, which then were referred to as South Wing and North Wing. All three buildings were removed in 1950. In 1952, a new classroom building designed by architect Smith, Hinchman & Grylls Associates as an addition to Angell Hall was named Mason Hall.
- Handwritten on mount: "Lecture rooms. Mich. University."
- Mason Hall (University of Michigan)
- South College (University of Michigan)
- University of Michigan--Buildings--1841-1850
- Universities & colleges--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Item Number
- Finding Aid
- Source of Title
- Scan Source
- Bentley Historical Library
- Date Added/Updated
- 2012-11-25 01:24:44
32337 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.
- Add to Portfolio
- In public portfolios
- Centennial items: 175, owner: phmccune