Engine House. Ann Arbor, Mich. / BL004357
About this Item
- Engine House. Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Collection Title
- University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
- Collection Creator
- Bentley Historical Library (collector)
- Folder / Container / Volume
- UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. R.O.T.C. Building (Old Heating Plant) no. 268
- Photographer / Artist
- William Adams Lewis, 1872-1942?
- Plant designed by A. Harvey's Sons Manufacturing Company, Ltd. Built in 1894. Also called Central Heating Plant and University Heating Plant. Ceased to function as a heating plant with the construction of the Washington Street plant in 1914. Used as an Engineering laboratory from 1914-1923. Then used by the R.O.T.C. as their headquarters from 1923-1942. The east stack was removed in 1948 and the rest of the building was demolished in 1959.
- On verso: "W. A. Lewis 6/15 1897." Lewis was a student at UM in the 1890's.
- Boiler House (University of Michigan)
- Library (University of Michigan)
- University of Michigan--Buildings--1891-1900
- Fences--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Heating plants--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Libraries--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Smokestacks--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Universities & colleges--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Winter--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Item Number
- Finding Aid
- Source of Title
- Scan Source
- 6 1/2 x 4 1/2 mounted b/w photographic print
- Bentley Historical Library
- Date Added/Updated
- 2012-11-25 01:37:27
- Image Size
- 7093 x 4800
- File Size
- 4 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"Engine House. Ann Arbor, Mich.; BL004357". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/b/bhl/x-bl004357/bl004357. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed December 07, 2022.