Law Building / BL004320



file_download Download image 229 x 150 (JPEG) 459 x 300 (JPEG) 919 x 600 (JPEG) 1838 x 1200 (JPEG) 3677 x 2400 (JPEG) 7354 x 4800 (JPEG)

About this Item

Record Details

Law Building
Collection Title
University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
Collection Creator
Bentley Historical Library (collector)
Folder / Container / Volume
UBImu D13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Haven Hall, 1863-1893. no. 193
Jordan & Anderson, architecture firm. The Law Building was built in 1863 on the corner of State Street and North University Avenue. In 1863 it was occupied by the Law School, the University Chapel (until 1873) and the General Library (until 1883). Renovated and enlarged in 1893 and then again in 1898 by architects Spier and Rohn of Detroit, Michigan who removed the tower and added a new south wing. Renamed Haven Hall in 1933 when the Law School moved to Hutchins Hall in the Law Quadrangle. Haven Hall then became one of the major buildings of the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, with space given to the Departments of History, Sociology, Journalism, and the Bureau of Government and its library collection. Extension Division also had offices in Haven Hall. The building was destroyed by fire in 1950.
Albumen prints;
Item Number
Finding Aid
Source of Title
Caption on mount
Scan Source
8 x 6 mounted oval photographic print
Bentley Historical Library
Date Added/Updated
2012-11-25 01:26:32

Technical Details

Image Size
7354 x 4800
File Size
5 MB
Link to this Item

Rights and Permissions

This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.


In public portfolios

Cite this Item

View the Help Guide for more information.

Full citation
"Law Building; BL004320". University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed December 03, 2022.