University of Michigan Library. Selden Breck Construction [West Stack] / BL004278
About this Item
- University of Michigan Library. Selden Breck Construction [West Stack]
- Collection Title
- University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
- Collection Creator
- Bentley Historical Library (collector)
- Folder / Container / Volume
- UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library. Construction. no. 189
- Photographer / Artist
- Lyndon Photo (Ann Arbor)
- Architects are Albert Kahn of Detroit, in consultation with William Warner Bishop, the first head librarian of the new building. Built between 1916 and 1920 on the site of the old library. The new building incorporated two fireproof book stacks built in 1898 from the older building. Additional stacks were built at right angles to old stacks between 1916-1918 by Selden Breck contractors. In 1918 the old library was demolished and a new front (north facade) was attached to the 1893 stacks and the stacks built in 1916-1917. This was referred to as the (New) General Library until the south stack addition was built in 1967-1970 and the entire library building was named the Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library.
- Image shows west stack. Photograph mounted on linen. From construction photo album received by Buildings and Grounds.
- General Library (University of Michigan)
- University of Michigan--Building--1911-1920
- Construction--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Libraries--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Towers--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Universities & colleges--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Progress photographs;
- Item Number
- Finding Aid
- Source of Title
- Scan Source
- 9 1/2 x 7 1/2 b/w photographic print
- Bentley Historical Library
- Date Added/Updated
- 2012-11-25 01:26:14
- Image Size
- 4800 x 8028
- File Size
- 5 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
The Bentley Historical Library provides access to this image for educational and research purposes. This image may be under copyright. Individuals depicted in an image may retain personal publicity rights. If you decide to use this image, you are responsible for making your own legal assessment and securing any necessary permission. If you have questions about the image or collection, please contact the BHL-Reference Dept. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, pleasecontact BHL-Image Bank.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"University of Michigan Library. Selden Breck Construction [West Stack]; BL004278". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/b/bhl/x-bl004278/bl004278. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed February 06, 2023.