Economics Building Fire [View through window to interior and hole in roof] / BL004211
About this Item
- Economics Building Fire [View through window to interior and hole in roof]
- Collection Title
- University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
- Collection Creator
- Bentley Historical Library (collector)
- Folder / Container / Volume
- UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Economics Building. 1908-1981. Fire. no. 178
- A. J. Jordan, architect. Built in 1856. First chemical laboratory at a state university. Building served medical students and others as both laboratory and classroom. Situated just west and south of the original medical building. Additions made to the one-story building in 1861, 1866, 1868, 1874. In 1880 a two-story addition was added. In 1890, a three-story wing was added to the west of the original structure and was designed by E. W. Arnold of Detroit. A final addition was constructed in 1901. With the completion of the West Medical Building (later renamed the Dana Building) in 1903 and the Chemistry Building in 1909, the laboratories were transferred from the original Chemical Laboratory. In 1908, it became the Economics Building with Pharmacology occupying the north wing. Destroyed by an arson fire Christmas Eve 1981.
- Image shows view through window to interior and hole in roof.
- Economics Building (University of Michigan)
- University of Michigan--Buildings--1981-1990
- Fires--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Universities & colleges--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Windows--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Item Number
- Finding Aid
- Source of Title
- Slide mount
- Scan Source
- 35 mm color slide
- Bentley Historical Library
- Date Added/Updated
- 2012-11-25 01:25:47
- Image Size
- 2302 x 3514
- File Size
- 1 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
The Bentley Historical Library provides access to this image for educational and research purposes. This image may be under copyright. Individuals depicted in an image may retain personal publicity rights. If you decide to use this image, you are responsible for making your own legal assessment and securing any necessary permission. If you have questions about the image or collection, please contact the BHL-Reference Dept. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, pleasecontact BHL-Image Bank.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"Economics Building Fire [View through window to interior and hole in roof]; BL004211". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/b/bhl/x-bl004211/bl004211. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed February 01, 2023.