- M. U. Economics Bldg.
- Collection Title
- University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
- Collection Creator
- Bentley Historical Library (collector)
- Folder / Container / Volume
- UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Economics Building. 1901-1956 (Pharmacology, northwest wing). no. 175
- Photographer / Artist
- University of Michigan. News and Information Service.
- A. J. Jordan, architect. Built in 1856. First chemical laboratory at a state university. Building served medical students and others as both laboratory and classroom. Situated just west and south of the original medical building. Additions made to the one-story building in 1861, 1866, 1868, 1874. In 1880 a two-story addition was added. In 1890, a three-story wing was added to the west of the original structure and was designed by E. W. Arnold of Detroit. A final addition was constructed in 1901. With the completion of the West Medical Building (later renamed the Dana Building) in 1903 and the Chemistry Building in 1909, the laboratories were transferred from the original Chemical Laboratory. In 1908, it became the Economics Building with Pharmacology occupying the north wing. Destroyed by an arson fire Christmas Eve 1981.
- On verso: "M. U. Information Services. Econ 3. April 1952."
- Economics Building (University of Michigan)
- University of Michigan--Buildings--1951-1960
- University of Michigan--Students--1951-1960
- Universities & colleges--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Item Number
- Finding Aid
- Source of Title
- Scan Source
- 5 x 7 b/w photographic print
- Bentley Historical Library
- Date Added/Updated
- 2012-11-25 01:37:26
32285 images/descriptions are openly available.
© Regents of the University of Michigan. This work is subject to a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Add to Portfolio