Barbour Gymnasium - Mary Jane Porter Room plaque / BL001971
About this Item
- Barbour Gymnasium - Mary Jane Porter Room plaque
- Collection Title
- University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
- Collection Creator
- Bentley Historical Library (collector)
- Folder / Container / Volume
- UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Barbour Gymnasium. no. 141
- John Scott & Company, architecture firm. Barbour Gymnasium (for women) was attached to the north side of the Waterman Gymnasium. Built during 1895 and 1896. Demolished in 1977 to make room for the expansion of the Chemistry Building.
- "Among the gifts [for the women's gymnasium] was a transfer of $711 from the Mary J. Porter Fund, one of the first alumnae contributions to the university" (Source: University of Michigan: an Encyclopedic Survey).
- Barbour Gymnasium (University of Michigan)
- University of Michigan--Buildings
- Gymnasiums--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Plaques--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Universities & colleges--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Item Number
- Finding Aid
- Source of Title
- Scan Source
- 10 x 8 b/w photographic print
- Bentley Historical Library
- Date Added/Updated
- 2012-11-25 01:36:43
- Image Size
- 7093 x 4800
- File Size
- 4 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
This image may be protected by copyright law.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"Barbour Gymnasium - Mary Jane Porter Room plaque; BL001971". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/b/bhl/x-bl001971/bl001971. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed October 02, 2022.