1908 wing of Detroit Observatory, E. Ann St., razed, June 1976 / BL001693

Viewer

Actions

file_download Download image 213 x 150 (JPEG) 426 x 300 (JPEG) 853 x 600 (JPEG) 1707 x 1200 (JPEG) 3415 x 2400 (JPEG) 6830 x 4800 (JPEG)

About this Item

Record Details

Title
1908 wing of Detroit Observatory, E. Ann St., razed, June 1976
Date
197606
Collection Title
University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
Collection Creator
Bentley Historical Library (collector)
Folder / Container / Volume
UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Observatory. 1954-Present (With west wing removed) no. 259
Photographer / Artist
Robert Kalmbach
Notes
Richard Harrison Bull, architect. Building completed in the summer of 1854. Residence wing for the director added in 1868, expanded in 1905-1906, and finally removed to facilitate the enlargement of Couzens Hall in 1954. East wing, with a larger dome and a more powerful telescope, begun in 1908 and completed in 1909; torn down in 1976. Named "The Detroit Observatory of the University of Michigan" until 1931 when it was changed to "The Observatory of the University of Michigan." In 1999, the name was officially changed to "The University of Michigan Detroit Observatory." Known at various times as Detroit Observatory, Campus Observatory, Old Observatory.
On verso: "The razing of the 1908 wing of the Detroit Observatory on East Ann St. provided a fascinating spectacle for some sidewalk observers a few weeks ago..."
Published: University Record, July 6, 1976, cover
Item Number
BL001693
Finding Aid
umich-bhl-92147
Source of Title
verso
Scan Source
8 x 10 photographic print
Repository
Bentley Historical Library
Date Added/Updated
2012-11-25 01:05:59

Technical Details

Image Size
6830 x 4800
File Size
4 MB
Record
BL001693
Link to this Item
https://quod.lib.umich.edu/b/bhl/x-bl001693/bl001693

Rights and Permissions

Creative Commons License
© Regents of the University of Michigan. This work is subject to a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License

Portfolios

Manifest
https://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/i/image/api/manifest/bhl:BL001693:BL001693

Cite this Item

View the Help Guide for more information.

Full citation
"1908 wing of Detroit Observatory, E. Ann St., razed, June 1976; BL001693". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/b/bhl/x-bl001693/bl001693. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed November 28, 2022.