University of Michigan Observatory / BL001692
About this Item
- University of Michigan Observatory
- 1868/1902 (ca.)
- Collection Title
- University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
- Collection Creator
- Bentley Historical Library (collector)
- Folder / Container / Volume
- UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Observatory. 1954-Present (With west wing removed) no. 259
- Richard Harrison Bull, architect. Building completed in the summer of 1854. Residence wing for the director added in 1868, expanded in 1905-1906, and finally removed to facilitate the enlargement of Couzens Hall in 1954. East wing, with a larger dome and a more powerful telescope, begun in 1908 and completed in 1909; torn down in 1976. Named "The Detroit Observatory of the University of Michigan" until 1931 when it was changed to "The Observatory of the University of Michigan." In 1999, the name was officially changed to "The University of Michigan Detroit Observatory." Known at various times as Detroit Observatory, Campus Observatory, Old Observatory.
- Stereoscopic photograph showing the 1868 director's residence addition. James C. Watson (wearing top hat) is seen with a telescope on a tripod; his wife, Annette, is standing at the porch (Source: A Creation of His Own: Tappan's Detroit Observatory by Patricia S. Whitesell).
- On verso: "Views at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor."
- Detroit Observatory (University of Michigan)
- University of Michigan--Buildings
- Astronomical observatories--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Universities & colleges--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Item Number
- Finding Aid
- Source of Title
- Scan Source
- Bentley Historical Library
- Date Added/Updated
- 2013-11-22 00:53:24
- Image Size
- 4800 x 2841
- File Size
- 1 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library. If you have questions about the image or collection, please contact the BHL-Reference Dept. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, pleasecontact BHL-Image Bank.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"University of Michigan Observatory; BL001692". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/b/bhl/x-bl001692/bl001692. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed December 02, 2023.