From Observatory Hill / BL001691
About this Item
- From Observatory Hill
- 1930/1940 (ca.)
- Collection Title
- University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
- Collection Creator
- Bentley Historical Library (collector)
- Folder / Container / Volume
- UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Observatory. 1908-2954 (With east wing added) no. 258
- Richard Harrison Bull, architect. Building completed in the summer of 1854. Residence wing for the director added in 1868, expanded in 1905-1906, and finally removed to facilitate the enlargement of Couzens Hall in 1954. East wing, with a larger dome and a more powerful telescope, begun in 1908 and completed in 1909; torn down in 1976. Named "The Detroit Observatory of the University of Michigan" until 1931 when it was changed to "The Observatory of the University of Michigan." In 1999, the name was officially changed to "The University of Michigan Detroit Observatory." Known at various times as Detroit Observatory, Campus Observatory, Old Observatory.
- Image is of a photo album / scrapbook fragment.
- Observatory (University of Michigan)
- University of Michigan--Buildings--1931-1940
- Astronomical observatories--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Universities & colleges--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Item Number
- Finding Aid
- Source of Title
- album caption
- Scan Source
- 8 x 10 photographic print
- Bentley Historical Library
- Date Added/Updated
- 2013-11-22 00:53:27
- Image Size
- 4800 x 3484
- File Size
- 1 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
This image may be protected by copyright law.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"From Observatory Hill; BL001691". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/b/bhl/x-bl001691/bl001691. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed September 28, 2022.