- University of Michigan Observatory
- 1854/1868 (ca.)
- Collection Title
- University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
- Collection Creator
- Bentley Historical Library (collector)
- Folder / Container / Volume
- UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Observatory. 1854-1868 (Original building). no. 255
- Photographer / Artist
- Allen Lysander Colton (Ann Arbor, Mich.)
- Richard Harrison Bull, architect. Building completed in the summer of 1854. Residence wing for the director added in 1868, expanded in 1905-1906, and finally removed to facilitate the enlargement of Couzens Hall in 1954. East wing, with a larger dome and a more powerful telescope, begun in 1908 and completed in 1909; torn down in 1976. Named "The Detroit Observatory of the University of Michigan" until 1931 when it was changed to "The Observatory of the University of Michigan." In 1999, the name was officially changed to "The University of Michigan Detroit Observatory." Known at various times as Detroit Observatory, Campus Observatory, Old Observatory.
- Image shows observatory from northwest with pine trees and summer garden.
- On verso: "A. L. Colton, Photographer, Ann Arbor, Michigan. Views of the State University a Specialty."
- Detroit Observatory (University of Michigan)
- University of Michigan--Buildings
- Astronomical observatories--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Gardens--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Universities & colleges--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Albumen prints;
- Item Number
- Finding Aid
- Source of Title
- Scan Source
- 6 1/2 x 10 photographic print
- Bentley Historical Library
- Date Added/Updated
- 2012-11-25 01:05:19
30928 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.
- Add to Portfolio
- In public portfolios
- Site of UM campus items: 14, owner: jetobin