- Mimes Theater
- Collection Title
- University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
- Collection Creator
- Bentley Historical Library (collector)
- Folder / Container / Volume
- UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Mimes Theater Building. no. 248
- Photographer / Artist
- George R. Swain (Ann Arbor, MI)
- Created from part of the Union building in 1921 after a fire and originally called the Union Playhouse. It had a seating capacity of 400. In February, 1922, the theater was taken over by the Mimes Society, a student drama organization, and called the Mimes Theater. It formally opened as the Laboratory Theater on December 1, 1930 when the Regents decided to rent the theater from the Union, and presented it to the Speech Department for their use. Shortly thereafter, the theater was condemned as a fire hazard and razed to make way for a parking lot behind the new Administration Building.
- On verso: "G. R. Swain, 713 East University Ave., Ann Arbor, Mich."
- Mimes Theater Building (University of Michigan)
- University of Michigan--Buildings--1921-1930
- Theaters--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Universities & colleges--Michigan--Ann Arbor
- Item Number
- Finding Aid
- Source of Title
- Scan Source
- 8 x 10 photographic print
- Bentley Historical Library
- Date Added/Updated
- 2012-11-25 01:35:37
32285 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image may be protected by copyright law.
- Add to Portfolio
- In public portfolios
- Theaters, Ann Arbor MI items: 8, owner: emv