Haven Hall [Law Building] Library interior / BL000087



file_download Download image 132 x 101 (JPEG) 265 x 202 (JPEG) 531 x 405 (JPEG) 1062 x 811 (JPEG) 2124 x 1623 (JPEG) 4248 x 3246 (JPEG)

About this Item

Record Details

Haven Hall [Law Building] Library interior
1863-1915 (ca.)
Collection Title
University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
Collection Creator
Bentley Historical Library (collector)
Folder / Container / Volume
UBImusC435. Folder: UM Law Library (Haven Hall, 1863-1931). Interiors. no. 75
Jordan & Anderson, architecture firm. The Law Building was built in 1863 on the corner of State Street and North University Avenue. In 1863 it was occupied by the Law School, the University Chapel (until 1873) and the General Library (until 1883). Renovated and enlarged in 1893 and then again in 1898 by architects Spier and Rohn of Detroit, Michigan who removed the tower and added a new south wing. Renamed Haven Hall in 1933 when the Law School moved to Hutchins Hall in the Law Quadrangle. Haven Hall then became one of the major buildings of the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, with space given to the Departments of History, Sociology, Journalism, and the Bureau of Government and its library collection. Extension Division also had offices in Haven Hall. The building was destroyed by fire in 1950.
Item Number
Finding Aid
Source of Title
on verso
Scan Source
4x5 b/w copy negative
Bentley Historical Library
Date Added/Updated
2013-11-22 00:40:33

Technical Details

Image Size
4248 x 3246
File Size
457 KB
Link to this Item

Rights and Permissions

This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.



Cite this Item

View the Help Guide for more information.

Full citation
"Haven Hall [Law Building] Library interior; BL000087". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/b/bhl/x-bl000087/bl000087. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed December 03, 2022.