Background and Physical Properties
- recto; on the verso there are traces of illegible letters
- 21 x 7.8 cm
- 24 lines
- Conservation Status
- A light-brown papyrus, regularly cutoff at all sides.
- Palaeographic Description
- Top margin is 1 cm; left-hand side margin is 2 cm. Between lines 19 and 20 is a free space of 5 cm. The text runs along the fibers. One vertical and one horizontal fold is still visible.
- Department of Special Collections; Memorial Library; Madison; Wisconsin
- June 4, 250 A.D.
- Nartmouthis, Polemonon meris, Arsinoite nome, Egypt
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Libellus libellaticorum
- Aurelius Aunes, son of Silvanus;
- Aurelius Sarapodorus;
- Aurelius Patos;
- Aurelius Itonin;
- Caesar Gaius Messius Quintus Trajanus Decius Pius Felix Augustus, emperor
- Narmouthis, Polemonos meris, Arsinoite nome, Egypt
- To the officials in charge of the sacrifices of the village of Narmouthis, from Aurelius Aunes, son of Silvanus, of the village of Narmouthis. I have always been constant in sacrificing to the gods, and now too, in your presence, in accordance with the regulations, I have sacrified and poured libations and tasted the offerings, and ask you to certify this for me below. May you continue to prosper. I, Aunes, about 19 years old, with a scar on my right elbow.
- (2nd hand) I, Aurelius Sarapodorus, have certified. (3rd hand) I, Aurelius Patos, have certified. (4th hand) I, Aurelius NN, have certified (5th hand) I, Aurelius NN, have certified. (6th hand) I, Aurelius NN, have certified. (7th hand) I, Aurelius Itonin, have certified.
- (1st hand) Year 1 of the Emperor Caesar Gaius Messius Quintus Trajanus Decius Pius Felix Augustus, Payni 10.
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections HThR 16 Knipfing JR 1932 345- SB III 6826 Knipfing JR , HThR 16, 345-, 1932 -- SB III 6826 P.Wisc. II Sijpesteijn PJ 1977 87 Plate XXXVII Sijpesteijn PJ , P.Wisc. II, 87, 1977, Plate XXXVII -- BL Concordance, 269 (for SB III 6826); BL VIII, 513 (line 12); BL XI, 291 BL Concordance, 269 (for SB III 6826); BL VIII, 513 (line 12); BL XI, 291
Information on Publications--Further Republications
- Further Republications
- GHR Horsley, New Documents illustrating Early Christianity [papyri 1977], no 105
- L Migliardi Zingale, Vita privata e vita pubblica, no 87
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- JR Knipfing, The Libelli of the Decian Persecution., HThR 16, 1923, pp. 345-;
- O. Montevecchi, LA papirologia, Torino 1973, 288ff.
- Year Begin
- Year End
26424 images/descriptions are openly available.
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
- Add to Portfolio
- 3236 x 5345
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)