Background and Physical Properties
- Recto; Verso is blank
- 7.1 x 14.6 cm
- 8 lines
- Conservation Status
- A light-brown papyrus, neatly cut off on all sides. At the top there is a margin left of 2.5 cm., at the left-hand side one of approx. 1 cm. the writer, who writes large, difficult to read letters of various forms, tried to make his letters run up to the very edge on the right-hand side by adding strokes to them.
- Palaeographic Description
- The text runs parallel to the fibers and is damaged at the folds (2 vertical and 2 horizontal).
- Department of Special Collections; Memorial Library; Madison; Wisconsin
- (Early) Ist century A.D.
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Order for Arrest (?)
- Aristandros, whose function can’t be ascertained, but who is certain to have been higher in rank than the ephodoi as he can issue this order, tells the ephodoi of Psobthis to arrest three men he has sent away (either from imprisonment or as officials, concerning whom facts have come to light to justify their arrest) if they meet them. From this last addition it may perhaps be inferred that similar orders have also been sent to other places.
- Subject Headings
- Order for Arrest
- Three men.
- Pethonis, son of Horos;
- Dionysios, son of Harpaesis;
- Pausiris, son of Petesiris;
- To the ephodoi of Psobthis. I have sent away Pethonis, son of Horos, and Dionysios, son of Harpaesis and Pausiris, son of Petesiris. Arrest (?) them, if you meet them. Aristandros.
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PWisc I Sijpesteijn P.J. 1967 23 Plate VIII Sijpesteijn P.J., PWisc I, 23, 1967, Plate VIII
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- Hagedorn Dieter, Bemerkungen zu einigen Wisconsin Papyri. ZPE 1 (1967) pp. 143-160; Lewis Naphtali, Noemata legontos. 19-29.
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Add to Portfolio
- 3261 x 4823
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)