Background and Physical Properties
- Recto + Verso
- 16 x 31.5 cm
- 22 lines
- Conservation Status
- A middle-brown papyrus, cut off regularly on all sides. the text runs parallel to the fibers, on the verso side as well as on the recto side. At the top there is a margin of 1.5 cm., on the left-hand side one of 1 cm., and at the bottom one of 3 cm. the text is mutilated at the folds (4 vertical and 1 horizontal).
- Palaeographic Description
- The letters are uncommonly large and bespeak a well-trained hand. The second hand is exceptionally effortless. At the left-hand corner there are a number of symbols (not letters!) not corresponding with one of the three hands. The text on the verso side has been written by the third hand.
- Department of Special Collections; Memorial Library; Madison; Wisconsin
- October 10, 468 A.D.
- Oxyrhynchos, Oxyrhynchite nome, province of Egypt
- Aurelius Kolluthos, son of Anuthios
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Loan of Money
- The papyrus deals with a loan of the usual type.
- Subject Headings
- Vegetable Merchant
- Village of Kerke
- Theodosipolite Nome
- Gold Solidus
- A copy.
- Aurelius Kolluthos, son of Anuthios;
- Aurelius Papnuthios, son of Mataios, grandson of Monaxon;
- Aurelius Phoibammon, son of Phuraxionios;
- After the consulate of Falvius Pusius and Flavius Johannes the most radiant the 13th Phaophi of the 7th indiction, Aurelius Kolluthos, son of Anuthios vegetable merchant from the town of Oxyrhynchos to Aurelius Papnuthios, son of Mataios, grandson of Monaxon from the village of Kerke in the southern part of the Theodosipolite Nome, abiding in the town of Oxyrhynchos, greetings. I admit having received on loan from you directly in ready cash for my own and necessary use one gold solidus, without additional charge, legally of correct weight, in total 1 gold solidus, which I shall necessarily repay you free of any risk on the twenty-fifth of the month of Phamenoth of the present year 145/114 of the seventh indiction without delay and without any contradiction and lawsuit and conviction while you are entitled the right of execution against me and all my possessions. The contract, of which there is one copy, is valid and when asked I have consented. I, Aurelius Kolluthos, son of Anuthios, the above mentioned, have received on loan the one gold solidus in total and I shall repay him on the aforesaid date, as is mentioned above and asked I have consented. I, Aurelius Phoibammon, son of Phuraxionios, have written if for him because he cannot write. By me,Boethos
- From Kolluthos, vegetable merchant, from Oxyrhynchos 1 gold solidus.
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PWisc I Sijpesteijn P.J. 1967 10 Plate IV Sijpesteijn P.J., PWisc I, 10, 1967, Plate IV
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Add to Portfolio
- 7676 x 5284
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)