P.Mich.inv. 853 / Recto
About this Item
front | summary (1 items)
Background and Physical Properties
- Recto; Verso is blank
- P. Mich. inv. 795
- 7.5 x 18 cm.
- Conservation Status
- This medium-brown papyrus is regularly cut at left and right, and it has been torned away below line 26.
- Palaeographic Description
- The report of the death was written by the same hand that wrote inv. 795. A second hand, possibly that of Tapapeis herself, appended a subscription (ll. 20-26), which is devoted to an oath by the emperor Claudius. A third hand may have written the second half of line 26. This has defied all attempts to produce an adequate transcription.
- Ann Arbor
- June/July, 47 A.D.
- Philadelphia, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Philadelphia, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt (?)
- Received at the British Museum from Dr. David L. Askren, Fayoum, Egypt, in September 1922
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- notification of death
- This papyrus contains a more fully preserved copy of the notification of death cataloged as P. Mich. inv. 795. In this text Tapapeis reports to the royal secretary of the Herakleides division the death of her husband Abeis,a resident of Philadelphia, in June/July, 47 A.D.
- Tapapeis, daughter of Pasis,
- Adrastos, son of Diogenes,
- Abeis, son of Horos,
- Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus Imperator.
- "To Hermaios, royal secretary, from Tapapeis, daughter of Pasis, acting with her relative Adrastos, son of Diogenes, as her kyrios. My husband Abeis, son of Horos, paying the poll tax at the village of Philadelphia, died in the month Epeiph of the current seventh year of Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus Imperator. I therefore request that his name be entered among those who have died.
- Tapapeis, about 45 years old, with a scar on the right foot.
- Adrastos, about 50 years old, with a scar on the 3rd finger of the right hand;
- (2nd hd.) I, the aforesaid Tapapeis, acting with the aforesaid Adrastos as my kyrios, swear by Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus Imperator that . . . everything said above is true. If I swear truly, may it be well with me; if I swear falsely, the reverse . . ."
- Papyri.info Link
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections ZPE 22 Youtie HC 1976 58-59 Pl XVd SB XIV 11587 Youtie HC, ZPE 22, 58-59, 1976, Pl XVd -- SB XIV 11587 -- BL VIII, 372 (bibliography) BL VIII, 372 (bibliography)
Information on Publications--Further Republications
- Further Republications
- Rep_editor Casarico L; Rep_Ser C.P.Gr. II/1; Rep_Year 1985; Rep_No. 5b (l. 16-26 only)
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Image Size
- 2787 x 4731
- File Size
- 2 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"P.Mich.inv. 853; Recto". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/a/apis/x-3141/853r.tif. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed February 01, 2023.