P.Mich.inv. 6959 / Recto
About this Item
front | summary (1 items)
front | detail (8 items)
Background and Physical Properties
- Recto; Verso is blank
- See P.Mich. XVIII, p. 89-97, on the group of papyri coming from mummy cartonnage and bought in 1982 by the University of Michigan
- 18.5 x 25 cm (Fragment B: 6 x 3.7 cm)
- Fragment A - 16;
- fragment B - 5
- Conservation Status
- Fragment A broken off at the top (except a thin strip along the left edge); Fragment B could be part of the missing upper part, but its place can not be determined with certainty
- Ann Arbor
- April 16, 197 B.C.[?]
- Unknown place of which depended Trikomia and Lysimachis, Themistou meris, Arsinoite nome, Egypt
- Unknown necropolis (cemeteries at Abusir al-Malaq or al-Lahun?)
- Mummy cartonnage bought in 1982
- Ly[- - -] (Lysias?)
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Official Letter of Introduction
- An unknown official, Lu[- - - ], informs various subordinates of a new appointee and orders them to render him all due assistance
- Subject Headings
- Police--Egypt--Arsinoite Nome.
- Tax collection--Egypt--Arsinoite Nome.
- Employment references--Egypt--Arsinoite Nome.
- Ly[- - -] (Lysias? see also P.Mich. XVIII, 769);
- [- - -, antigrapheus?];
- (unnamed) phylakitai
- Trikomia; Lysimachis
- Lysias(?) [to - - - and] policemen, greetings. [So-and-so, the man [presenting this order] has been appointed [to oversee the collection of the . . . tax . . .?] of Trikomia (and) Lysimachis. In whatever matters, then, he happens to need from you the things pertaining to this, you will do well to co-operate with him so that none of the things beneficial to the royal treasury be neglected. Farewell. Year 8, Phamenoth 8.
- Papyri.info Link
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich XVIII Mackay CS 1996 770 Pl. VIII Mackay CS, PMich XVIII, 770, 1996, Pl. VIII
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- C. Suess apud B. Kramer, Archiv 44 (1998) p. 324; Tomasz Derda, ARSINOITHS NOMOS. Administration of the Fayum under Roman Rule, Warsaw 2006, p. 22, n. 62
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Image Size
- 2170 x 3042
- File Size
- 878 KB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"P.Mich.inv. 6959; Recto". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/a/apis/x-3047/6959r_a.tif. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed December 04, 2023.