P.Mich.inv. 6954 / Recto
About this Item
front | summary (1 items)
front | detail (6 items)
Background and Physical Properties
- Recto (written across the fibres); Verso is P. Mich. Koenen 777
- P.Mich. XVIII, 775-780; P.Heid. VI, 374
- 31.5 x 11.1 cm
- Conservation Status
- Damaged on the lower right side
- Palaeographic Description
- Recto written across the fibres; palimpsest
- Ann Arbor
- June 22, 194 B.C.
- Mouchis, Polemonos meris, Arsinoite nome, Egypt
- Unknown necropolis (cemeteries at Abusir al-Malaq or al-Lahun?)
- Mummy cartonnage bought in 1982
- Peteminis (alias Ptolemaios)
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Report of Violence
- (Copy of a) Report addressed by Peteminis, a local official (a topogrammateus?), to a superior, concerning an investigation he has led after discovering two men injured
- Subject Headings
- Criminal investigation--Egypt
- Assault and battery--Egypt
- Farmers--Violence against--Egypt
- Peteminis (alias Ptolemaios) (see P.Mich. XVIII, p. 92-93);
- Protarchos (epimeletes) (see also P.Mich. XVIII, 774);
- Pasis son of Paopis, basilikos georgos;
- Manres son of Orses;
- Pasis son of Semtheus;
- Horos son of Onnophris;
- Pasis son of Manres;
- Horos son of Apynchis, sitometres
- Lithine dioryx
- Peteminis to Protarchos, greetings. On the 11th of Pachon, while we were patrolling the village, at nightfall we came upon Pasis, son of Paopis, royal farmer, injured. He reported (that) some men attacked him at Stone canal. We then rushed southward from the village, wanting to ascertain what had happened. We found Manres, son of Orses, likewise inkjured. Asked by us who they were, they denied that they recognized them. But some of them said, 'He was injured by us with barge poles.' On the 12th, we hear which of the villagers they are whose names are appended below for you: Pasis, son of Semtheus, Horos, son of Onnophris, Pasis, son of Manres, Horos, son of Apynchis, the grain measurer. Although we looked, we did not find them at the present time. If they fall into our hands, we will bring them up to you. I have written to you, therefore, so that you might know.
- Farewell. Year 11, Pachon 15.
- Papyri.info Link
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich XVIII Loftus A - Schwendner G 1996 776 Pl. XIII Loftus A - Schwendner G, PMich XVIII, 776, 1996, Pl. XIII -- BL XI, 134 (l. 6, 8); BL XI, 134 (l. 6, 8);
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- B. Kramer, Archiv 44 (1998) p. 325
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Image Size
- 3008 x 2316
- File Size
- 927 KB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"P.Mich.inv. 6954; Recto". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/a/apis/x-3043/6954r_a.tif. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed December 08, 2023.