P.Mich.inv. 6949 / Verso
About this Item
front | summary (1 items)
back | summary (1 items)
Background and Physical Properties
- 15.8 x 6.9 cm.
- Conservation Status
- This narrow light-brown papyrus was cut to meet the requisite format of an official document comprises one complete column of text. Papyrus is broken into two halves at its middle: otherwise the papyrus has sustained no damage.
- Palaeographic Description
- Written in a small and fairly quick hand with little linking of the letters. It is consistent and readable despite a certain untidiness, and parallels to this hand suggest a date in the third century B.C., cp. P. Lond. I 106 (261 or 223 B.C.), PCZ 59369 (240 B.C.), and P. Petrie I 19 (225 B.C.). The text on the verso is written across the fibers.
- Ann Arbor
- August 22, 240 B.C.
- Athribis, Herakleides meris, Arsinoite nome, Egypt
- Athribis, Herakleides meris, Arsinoite nome, Egypt (?)
- bought in 1982
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- a prosangelma
- This papyrus contains a prosangelma, reporting a crime to the police personified by Nicanor, a police officer. The text gives a concise and accurate report of the time and circumstances of the transgression, of the loss incurred and of the estimated damage. The question of the identity of the criminals is not debated, nor is there any call for a court settlement of the matter.
- Subject Headings
- Complaints (Civil procedure)--Egypt--Athribis (Extinct city)
- Theft--Egypt--Athribis (Extinct city)
- Tamarix--Egypt--Athribis (Extinct city)
- Police--Egypt--Athribis (Extinct city)--Records and correspondence.
- Nicanor, phylakites.
- "The seventh year; on the fifth of Epeiph. Declaration (adressed) to Nicanor, police officer of Athribis, police officer of Athribis, and to his fellow policemen. While I was in Alexandria, some people entered my property and cut down thirty tamarisks, twenty of which were worth three drachmas each, which makes sixty drachmas, and ten worth two drachmas apiece, that is twenty drachmas, a total of eighty drachmas. (Verso) To Nicanor."
- Papyri.info Link
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections Atti XVII Congr Int 3 Parca M 1983 1227-32 Plate SB XVI 12823 Parca M, Atti XVII Congr Int 3, 1227-32, 1983, Plate -- SB XVI 12823 -- BL XI, 221 BL XI, 221
- TC, MA
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Image Size
- 2909 x 4795
- File Size
- 2 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"P.Mich.inv. 6949; Verso". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/a/apis/x-3038/6949v.tif. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed September 26, 2022.