Background and Physical Properties
- 26.6 x 23.8 cm.
- 1 - 32
- Conservation Status
- The light-brown papyrus is regularly cut off at all sides. A kollesis remains approximately 10 cm. from the right margin. Three vertical folds still visible. (TC)
- Palaeographic Description
- Fluent semi-cursive hand. Lines are pulled slightly upwards. With the exception of the bottom, rather generous free margins are left on all sides of the document: to the left approximately 3.5 cm., at the top approximately 1.5 cm., to the right approximately 1.5 cm. and at the bottom of col. 1 only 0.5 cm. has been left free; after the end of the text in column 2 the remainder of the papyrus has been left free. Left half of papyrus across the fibers, right half along the fibers; traces on the Verso (TC).
- Ann Arbor
- January 7, 197 B.C. (?)
- bought in 1982
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Royal decree
- Letter containing a copy of a royal decree of November 12, 198 B.C. (?) on sale of Egyptians enslaved in unrest
- Subject Headings
- Slave trade--Egypt.
- Pyros, the praktor,
- Thaybastis, daughter of Sokrates,
- Athenodoros, dioiketes,
- Apollonios, son of Apollonios
- Street of Arsinoe Euergetis
- "Athenodoros to the agoranomoi, greetings. Attached is a copy of the memorandum of Pyrrhos, the praktor. Set up a katahgraphe in accordance herewith. Farewell, year 8, Hathyr 28.
- To Athenodoros, the dioiketes, from Pyrrhos. It has been declared, according to the decree posted from year 8, Phaophi 2, in relation to everybody who owns Egyptian slaves originating from the rebellion in the country, Thaybastis, daughter of Socrates, Syrian with Apollonios as her guardian, one of the people of Anthemidos, Cretan, and one of the members of the elite armoured forced, Thasion, approximately 18 years old, who says (or: of whom she says) that she is an Egyptian. And Thaybastis has made the payment at the bank of Phillipos into the account of the king in year 8, Xandikos 15. In copper 500 drachmas and an agio [(drachmas)]52 and 4 obols and the resulting tax for the purchase of of slaves in copper 110 <drachmas> and 5 (obols) . . . When it suits you, see to it that the deed of purchase is resgistered to Thaybastis, approximately 30 years old, short, with honey-coloured complexion, round faced with a scar on the right cheeks, with Apollonios, with the guardian Apollonios, son of Apollonios, approximately 40 years, of medium size, of honey-colored complexion, smooth head, with ears standing out, scar on the left forehead, from the street of Arsinoe Euergetis, purchase of Thasion, approxiamtely 18 years old, short, of dark hair with a roun face and easily recognisable by several scars. Year 8, Hathyr 26, Daisios 4."
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections Atti XVII Congr Int 3 Koenen L 1983 915-6 Koenen L, Atti XVII Congr Int 3, 915-6, 1983 C.Ptol.Sklav. I Scholl R 1990 9 SB XX 14659 Scholl R, C.Ptol.Sklav. I, 9, 1990 -- SB XX 14659 -- BL XI, 231; BL XI, 231; P. Sijp. Sirks, A.J.B. and Worp, K.A. 2007 302-322 Plate 54 Sirks, A.J.B. and Worp, K.A., P. Sijp., 302-322, 2007, Plate 54
- TC, MA
- Year Begin
- Year End
26428 images/descriptions are openly available.
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
- Add to Portfolio
- 3480 x 4544
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)