Background and Physical Properties
- Recto; Verso is blank
- Archive of Petaus, son of Petaus, komogrammateus of Ptolemais Hormou
- 13.3 x 21.5 cm
- Conservation Status
- Badly damaged at the top, on the left side, and at the bottom
- Ann Arbor
- January/February, 185 A.D.
- Ptolemais Hormou, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Probably either Karanis or Ptolemais Hormou, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- purchased in England through Prof. C. Schmidt in September 1937
- P[- - -], son of Peteeus
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Death Notice
- Notification of the death of a taxpayer, addressed to the administration by a relative
- Subject Headings
- Rome--Politics and government.
- Arsinoite Nome--Census.
- Arsinoite Nome--Population.
- Tax collection--Egypt--Arsinoite Nome.
- Hermophilos, basilikos grammateus of the Herakleidou meris;
- P[- - -] son of Peteeus;
- Sarapion son of Sarapas and Thermouthis grandson of [- - -];
- Commodus, emperor;
- (Petaus son of Petaus), komogrammateus of Ptolemais Hormou (see P.Petaus, introd.);
- Horou(--) <Horos? Horouonchis?>, boethos of Hermophilos (see P.Petaus, p. 75)
- Ptolemais Hormou, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome
- To Hermophilos, royal secretary of the Herakleides division of the Arsinoite nome. From P[- - -], son of Peteeus, from the village of [Ptolemais] Hormou. My relative, Sarapsion, son of Sarapas and Thermouthis, grandson of . . ., paying the poll-tax in the aforesaid village of Ptolemais Hormou, died during the current month of Mecheir of the [present] 25th year of Marcus Aurelius Commodus Antoninus Augustus Pius. Therefore I ask that his name be registered on the list of the dead as in similar cases.
- (2nd hand) To the village secretary of Ptolemais Hormou. If in truth the aforementioned died, perform what is consistant with similar cases, knowing that the responsability is yours if something is not done as it ought. (3rd hand) I, [Hermophilos], royal (scribe), have signed, through Horou(--), his assistant.
- (2nd hand) Year  of Marcus Aurelius Commodus [Antoninus] Caesar our lord, [Mecheir . .]
- Papyri.info Link
- view the transcription of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich Michael Michael EM 1965 9 SB XII 11111 Michael EM, PMich Michael, 9, 1965 -- SB XII 11111 PPetaus Hagedorn U - Hagedorn D - Youtie LC - Youtie HC 1969 6 Hagedorn U - Hagedorn D - Youtie LC - Youtie HC, PPetaus, 6, 1969
Information on Publications--Further Republications
- Further Republications
- Rep_Ser - CPapGr II; Rep_editor - Casarico L; Rep_year - 1985; Rep_Pg-No - 61; Rep_Photo - pl. LX
- Year Begin
- Year End
26447 images/descriptions are openly available.
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
- Add to Portfolio
- 4040 x 5307
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)