P.Mich.inv. 678 / Recto
About this Item
front | summary (1 items)
front | detail (7 items)
Background and Physical Properties
- Recto; Verso is blank
- + P.Mich.inv. 932; Archive of Kronion son of Apion, nomographos of the grapheion of Tebtynis
- 40.9 x 28.7 cm (total size)
- Demotic, col. I - 8; col. II - 9
- Greek - 1 + 7 + 3
- Conservation Status
- nearly complete, damaged along some folds
- Ann Arbor
- August 28, 18 A.D.
- Tebtynis, Polemonos meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Tebtynis, Polemonos meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- 1921, Acquired by Kelsey from Nahman in Cairo
- Demotic and Greek
- Chaireis, son of Apollonios
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Sale of Part of a Vacant Lot
- Demotic contract for the sale of one ninth of a vacant lot, made by Chaireis, son of Apollonios, and his wife to Orseus, son of Patynis; the subscriptions are in Greek, as well as the date which was added at the top of the papyrus and the note giving the descriptions of the contracting parties at the bottom of the sheet
- Subject Headings
- Literacy--Egypt--Tebtunis (Extinct city)
- Land Ownership
- Talei (Extinct city)
- Tiberius, Emperor;
- Chaireis son of Apollonios and Thenobestis, husband of Taakiaris, brh b3k (. . . & servant) of Souchos;
- Orseus son of Patynis and Tasokis = Tasoukis, wy' b3k (farmer & servant) of Souchos;
- Panebtynis = Papnebtynis son of Phasis;
- Kollouthos son of Patynis;
- Taakiaris = Taagoreis, daughter of Papnebtynis and Hera = Heraeis (Herais), wife of Chaireis;
- Diodoros son of Herakles
- Talei, Polemonos meris, Arsinoite nome; canal of Moeris
- (Greek) 4th year of Tiberius Caesar Augustus, 5th intercalary day of Mesore. Official copy.
- (Demotic, col. I) Year 4 of Tiberius Caesar Augustus, fifth month of summer, (the days of) illumination, (day) 5. The . . . and servant of Souchos, Chaireis, son of Apollonios, his mother being Thenobestis, has said to the farmer and servant of Souchos, Orseus, son of Patynis, his mother being Tasokis, "You have satisfied my heart with the silver [of the price] of my one-ninth share of dry vacant land which is surrounded by a wall (in the) Souchos town of Talei (in) the division of Polemon on the south side [(of) the] canal Moeris (in the) Arsinoite nome. The boundaries of this entire dry vacant lot in which this one-ninth share is located: south, the exit; north, the house and court of Panebtynis, son of Phasis; west, the places of Kollouthos, son of Patynis; east, (the) royal road. - - - this one-ninth share which is(?) written above. No man in the world, nor I likewise, shall be able to exercise authority over it, except you, from this date on. He that shall come to you [on account of it], I will cause him to be far from you on account of it, of necessity, without delay, and I will cause it to be clear for you from every writing, every document, everything in the world. If I fail to [cause] it to be clear, I will give you . . . of necessity, without delay." The woman of endowment, Taakiaris, daughter of Panebtynis, her mother being Hera, is present and says, "Do everything. My heart is [satisfied] concerning it. Call."
- (Demotic, col. II) Year 4 of Tiberius Caesar Augustus, fifth month of summer, (the days of) illumination, (day) 5. The . . . and servant of Souchos, Chaireis, son of Apollonios, his mother being Thenobestis, has said to the farmer and servant of [Souchos], Orseus, son of Panebtynis (sic), his [mother] being Tasokis, "I am far from you (in respect of) my one-ninth share of this dry vacant land which is surrounded by a wall (in the) Souchos town of Talei (in) the division of Polemon on the [south] side (of) the canal Moeris (in the) Arsinoite nome. The boundaries of this entire dry vacant lot in which this [one-ninth] share is located: south, the exit; north, the house and court of Panebtynis, son of Phasis; west, the places of Kollouthos, son of Panebtynis (sic); east, the royal road. - - -. No man (in the) world, nor I likewise, [shall be able] to exercise authority over it, except you, from this date on. He that shall come to you on account [of it], I will cause him to be far from you in respect of it, of necessity, without delay, and I will cause it to be clear for you (from) every writing, every document, [everything in the world]. <Thine> is every writing which has been made concerning them."
- (Greek subscriptions) (1st hand) Orseus, son of Patynis, my mother being Tasokis. The aforesaid sale of the ninth part of the vacant lot was made to me as aforesaid. Diodoros, son of Herakles, also wrote for him because he is illiterate.
- (2nd hand) We, Chaireis, son of Apollonios, my mother being Thenobestis, and my mife Taagoreis, daughter of Papnebtynis, her mother being Heraeis, acknowledge that I, Chaireis, have sold, in accordance with the Egyptian contracts, to Orseus, son of Patynis, his mother being Tasokis, the ninth part of a walled vacant lot that belongs to me and of all the appurtenances common and undivided, in Talei of the division of Polemon; the neighbors of the whole lot being on the south the common entrance and exit, on the north the house and court of Papnebtynis, son of Phasis, on the west the lot of Kollouthos, son of Patynis, on the east the royal road. I have received the entire price agreed upon, in full, and I guarantee the sale with every guarantee forever. I, Taagoreis, the aforesaid wife of Chaireis, consent to the sale and agree not to proceed against it forever, and we shall do the other things as aforesaid. I, Chaireis, wrote also for my wife because she is illiterate.
- (Note of a grapheion scribe) Chaireis, 33 years old, with a scar on his left shin.
- Orseus, 40 years old, with a scar on the 3rd finger of his left hand.
- Taakiaris, 30 years old, with a scar on her right forearm.
- Papyri.info Link
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich V Husselman EM 1944 250 Husselman EM, PMich V, 250, 1944
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Image Size
- 4608 x 3480
- File Size
- 2 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"P.Mich.inv. 678; Recto". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/a/apis/x-2936/678r_a.tif. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed August 14, 2022.