Background and Physical Properties
- Verso; Recto contains a few illegible traces of writing.
- 12 x 5.8 cm.
- Conservation Status
- A piece of about 4.2 cm. is missing from the upper right. The damage to the papyrus is nearly total in l. 14, where not a single letter is legible; the traces do not seem to be the impression, resulting from folding, of a previous line. To judge from the space (ca. 16-18 letters), if any part of the preserved charm was repeated here, it was therapeusate Elenen.
- The shading on the papyrus is uneven; it is dark on the extreme left side and the right half, but light around the center and center left. The papyrus appears to have been folded once from the top towards the bottom and twice from the bottom towards the top. The folded papyrus may then have been rolled, bound with thread and attached to the body.
- Palaeographic Description
- For the probably 3rd century hand, cf. W. Schubart, Pap. Gr. Berol. Abb. 40 = PGM I. Schubart (Gr. Pal., 134) assigns this hand to the third century, whereas earlier it was thought to be 4th or 5th century (see also PGM I intro.). Three stars and a lunar crescent, such as surround the text of this charm, may be found e.g. in Delatte-Derchain, Entailles Mag., nos. 296, 301. The stars are, characteristically, eight-rayed, cf. H. G. Gundel, Weltbild und Astrologie, 55 note 21.
- Ann Arbor
- IIIrd century A.D.
- purchased from Nahman through H.I. Bell in 1934
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Magic charm
- Magical amulet against illnesses. In a tautological language attested in other magical texts, lines 3-5 contain a command to the god(s) to heal a certain Helene from "every disease" and various kinds of fever.
- Subject Headings
- Magic, Egyptian.
- (Lines 3-5): "Lord gods, heal Helene, whom [NN] bore, from every illness and every (onslaught of) shivering and fever, ephemeral, quotidian, tertian, quartan [?]."
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections Diss Daniel RW 1981 85-99 SB XVI 13019 Daniel RW, Diss, 85-99, 1981 -- SB XVI 13019 ZPE 50 Daniel RW 1983 147-54 Pl VIIc Daniel RW, ZPE 50, 147-54, 1983, Pl VIIc -- BL IX, 296 (bibliography) BL IX, 296 (bibliography)
Information on Publications--Further Republications
- Further Republications
- Rep Editor - Daniel RW-Maltomini F; Rep Ser. - Supplementum Magicum 1; 1990; pg. 11-3
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- LDAB 5341
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Add to Portfolio
- 4025 x 4488
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)