Background and Physical Properties
- Verso; Recto is unpublished
- PKoln I 21
- a: 5.4 x 17.2 cm; b: 5.7 x 17 cm; c: 2.8 x 4.7 cm; d: 10 x 15.6 cm
- col. I (= col. 8), 19 lines
- col. II (= col. 9), 21 lines
- col. III (col. 10), 20 lines
- Conservation Status
- The three fragments come from three consecutive columns. Fr. a contains the ends of lines 151-169, with a right margin of 1.4 cm, an upper margin of 2.8 cm, and a lower margin of 1.5 cm. Fragment b, containing the middle portions of lines 170-190, has upper and lower margins of 1.1 cm each. Fragment c contains the ends of lines 175-181, with no margins extant. Fragment d containing the beginnings of lines 192-211, has a left intercolumniation of 3 cm, indicated by ink on the edge of the papyrus opposite lines 191 and 201, and a lower margin of 1.8 cm. Kollesis appears on the front of the papyrus in fragment b, varying from 1.7 to 2.4 cm from the left edge; this corresponds to the area of the right intercolumniation on the back. The papyrus is medium-brown in color.
- Palaeographic Description
- The text is written with black ink in letters 5 mm high. The hand is very large, upright, so what angular uncial. There are no diacritical marks, but numerous stops appear.
- The most interesting features of the text are the two marginal signs, an asterisk at the line 196 and a stichometric notation at 201.
- Ann Arbor
- IInd century A.D. - IIIrd century A.D.
- Unknown (Oxyrhynchos?)
- purchased from Nahman through H.I. Bell in 1934
- Literary; epic
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Homeric papyrus (Iliad1.129-146, 151-190, 192-211)
- Homer, Iliad1.129-146, 151-190, 192-211
- The history of the text's editions:
- R.Merkelbach, ZPE 14 (1974), p.89-90 gives the text of P.Mich. inv. 6653, Iliad 1.195-202 (col. III ), where he indicates the asteriscos in l. 196.
- N.E. Priest published in her Diss., 1975, 1. 151-190, 192-211 , the three preserved col. I, II, III (= col. 8, 9, 10 according to her calculation in the roll)
- P.Koeln I 21 (ed. in 1985): Iliad. 1.129-146; 176-180; 187-190; 205-211 was preserved in 5 fragments which come from 3 columns, I, III, IV
- N.E. Priest, ZPE 33 (1979), p.35-37;
- N.E.Priest, ZPE 46 (1982), p.54-55 joined the two papyri P.Koeln I 21 and P.Mich. inv. 6653 and gives the text of col. 9, 10 (according again her calculations), which correspond to the columns II and III of the preserved papyrus fragments.
- N,E. Priest, ZPE 46 (1982), pg. 54-55, gives the transcription of the text of the col. 8 (according to her calculations), which corresponded to the col. I of the preserved papyrus.
- Subject Headings
- Epic poetry
- papyrus roll
- Joined papyri from different collections
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections ZPE 14 Merkelbach R 1974 89-90 Pl IIIc Merkelbach R, ZPE 14, 89-90, 1974, Pl IIIc Diss Priest NE 1975 19-25, no 3 Priest NE, Diss, 19-25, no 3, 1975
Information on Publications--Further Republications
- Further Republications
- Rep Editor - Priest NE; Rep Ser. - ZPE 33; 1979; pg. 35-7
- Rep Editor - Priest NE; Rep Ser. - ZPE 46; 1982; pg. 54-5
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- Allen - Sutton - West p455a; LDAB 1791; MP 580.1
- http://www.uni-koeln.de/phil-fak/ifa/NRWakademie/papyrologie/PKoeln/PK1030v.jpg ; http://www.uni-koeln.de/phil-fak/ifa/NRWakademie/papyrologie/PKoeln/PK46bv.jpg ; http://www.uni-koeln.de/phil-fak/ifa/NRWakademie/papyrologie/PKoeln/PK46cdv.jpg ; http://www.uni-koeln.de/phil-fak/ifa/NRWakademie/papyrologie/PKoeln/PK46ev.jpg
Information on Publications--Notes
- It was published as 6653, but it was changed to 6653a, as there is one more papyrus under the same inv. number
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Add to Portfolio
- In public portfolios
- Homeric Papyri items: 128, owner: verhoogt
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)