P.Mich.inv. 653 / Verso
About this Item
front | summary (1 items)
front | detail (1 items)
back | summary (1 items)
back | detail (1 items)
Background and Physical Properties
- Recto + Verso
- Archive of Kronion son of Apion, nomographos of the grapheion of Tebtynis
- 15 23.5 cm
- Recto - 16;
- Verso - 2
- Conservation Status
- nearly complete, somewhat damaged along the folds
- Palaeographic Description
- The first hand is a sloping cursive, with some letters indistinctly written; the 2nd and 3rd are upright cursives; the 4th hand is in a rather small cursive, but the letters in the 5th hand are irregularly placed uncials. (Boak)
- Ann Arbor
- August 26, 41 A.D.
- Arsinoiton polis, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Tebtynis, Polemonos meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- 1921: acquired by Kelsey from Nahman in Cairo
- Kallikrates son of Isidoros and other agents of the bank
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Bank Receipt for Money Tax
- Receipt issued to Harmais alias Pelkis, son of Harmais, for payment of the transfer tax on the purchase of a half share of a house at the bank of the nomarchy at Arsinoiton polis to the farmers of the tax in the nomarchy
- Claudius, Emperor;
- Tiberius Iulius Heron;
- Lucius Vecellius Cinyra;
- Ptolemaios (see Geographica);
- Harmais alias Pelkis son of Harmais;
- Petesouchos (son of Harmais), brother of Harmais alias Pelkis;
- Kallikrates son of Isidoros;
- Ptolemais Euergetis (Arsinoiton polis), Arsinoite nome; Ptolemaiou nomarchia; Tebtynis, Polemonos meris
- (1st hand) The first year of Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus Imperator, in the month Kaisareios, on the 3rd intercalary day. Paid into the bank of the nomarchy in Ptolemais Euergetis of the Arsinoite nome for the agents of Tiberius Iulius Heron, Lucius Vecellius Cinyra and Serapion of the nomarchy of Ptolemaios, by Harmais, also called Pelkis, son of Harmais, as tax on a half share of a three-story house and a court in Tebtynis in the division of Polemon (bought) from his brother Petesouchos, of which the measurements and adjoining properties are set forth in the contracts. 60 drachmai on 600(?).
- (2nd hand) I, Kallikrates, son of Isidoros, have signed it. The 1st year of Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus Imperator, in the month Kaisareios, the 3rd intercalary day.
- (3rd hand) I, Philotas, have signed it.
- (4th hand) The 1st year of Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus Imperator.
- (5th hand) I have signed it.
- Papyri.info Link
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich V Boak AER 1944 235 Boak AER, PMich V, 235, 1944 -- L. 4-5: read Tiberiou, instead of Spoeriou (for Spouriou). (PH) L. 4-5: read Tiberiou, instead of Spoeriou (for Spouriou). (PH)
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Image Size
- 3480 x 4608
- File Size
- 2 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"P.Mich.inv. 653; Verso". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/a/apis/x-2863/653v_a.tif. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed October 02, 2022.