P.Mich.inv. 648 / Verso
About this Item
front | summary (1 items)
front | detail (2 items)
back | summary (1 items)
back | detail (1 items)
Background and Physical Properties
- Recto + Verso
- Archive of Kronion son of Apion, nomographos of the grapheion of Tebtynis
- 14 x 24 cm
- Recto - 19;
- Verso - 1
- Conservation Status
- broken off at the top
- Ann Arbor
- October 2, 37 A.D.
- probably Tebtynis, Polemonos meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Tebtynis, Polemonos meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- 1921, Acquired by Kelsey from Nahman in Cairo
- Herodes alias Herakleides, son of Lysimachos
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Business Letter
- Request from Herodes, also called Herakleides, to Kronion, the notary of Tebtynis, concerning 13 1/2 arourai of catoecic land that Herodes has previously ceded to Herakleides the younger, son of Maron; the object of the request is lost, but it could have been written to support Herakleides's vain effort to obtain the deed of cession without the necessary authorization, which he had lost (see also P.Mich. V, 353, of 48 A.D.)
- Herodes alias Herakleides (son of Lysimachos) (see P.Mich. V, p. 17-18; XI, p. 89-90);
- Herakleides (neoteros son of Maron) (see also P.Mich. V, p. 381; XI, p. 89-90);
- Tiberius, former emperor;
- Gaius, Emperor;
- Kronion (son of Apion), nomographos of Tebtynis
- Tebtynis; Herakleidou epoikion
- [- - -] the cession (drawn up) by you of thirteen and a half arourai, seven and a half arourai in the neighborhood of Tebtynis and six arourai in the neighborhood of Herakleides's Farmstead, since I, Herodes, also called Herakleides, received from the same Herakleides the whole price of the same thirteen and a half arourai, in full, at once, from hand to hand, out of the house, at the same time that the cession took place, in the twenty-third year of Tiberius Caesar Augustus, since he was registered as owner of the same arourai through the bureau of catoecic registry. Therefore do not do otherwise. I retain my claims in respect to the cheirograph which the aforesaid Herakleides made with me concerning service and all the provisions of the same cheirograph. Farewell.
- Second year of Gaius Caesar Augustus Germanicus. Farewell.
- Deliver to Kronion, nomographos of Tebtynis.
- Papyri.info Link
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich XI Shelton JC 1971 621 Shelton JC, PMich XI, 621, 1971
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Image Size
- 4608 x 3480
- File Size
- 2 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"P.Mich.inv. 648; Verso". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/a/apis/x-2851/648v_a.tif. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed December 07, 2023.