Background and Physical Properties
- Recto + Verso
- Archive of Kronion son of Apion, nomographos of the grapheion of Tebtynis
- 10 x 28 cm
- Recto - 47;
- Verso - 2
- Conservation Status
- complete, but somewhat abraded in places
- Palaeographic Description
- 1st hand: small upright cursive written with considerable care and very legible (see also P.Mich. V, 312); 2nd hand: somewhat larger, with a mixture of uncial and cursive letter forms; 3rd hand: another small upright cursive; 4th: a very rapidly and carelessly written scrawl. (Boak)
- Ann Arbor
- August 27, 34 A.D.
- Talei, Polemonos meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Tebtynis, Polemonos meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- 1921, Acquired by Kelsey from Nahman in Cairo
- Horos the elder, son of Apollonios
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Lease of Public Estates
- Contract by which Horos the elder, son of Apollonios, leases to Ptolemaios, son of Apion, five arourai of the public estates which Horos himself is farming, for one year; at the bottom of the sheet are a docket of the grapheion recording the registration of the lease and a memorandum of the clerk, giving the descriptions of the contracting parties.
- Subject Headings
- Land Status
- Theogonis (Extinct city)
- Talei (Extinct city)
- Tiberius, Emperor;
- Horos presbyteros son of Apollonios, Perses tes epigones;
- Ptolemaios son of Apion (see also P.Mich. V, 316?);
- Meleleus (see Geographica);
- Orseus son of Papontos;
- Hermias, (ho) pros to grapheio of Talei and other villages (see also P.Mich. V, 312)
- Talei, Polemonos meris, Arsinoite nome; Perses; Theogonis; hai Meleleutos legomenai
- The twentieth year of Tiberius Caesar Augustus, the fourth of the month Hyperberetaios, the fourth of the supplementary days of Mesore, in Talei of the division of Polemon of the Arsinoite nome.
- Horos the elder, son of Apollonios, a Persian of the epigone, about 35 years old, with a scar on his right knee, has leased to Ptolemaios, son of Apion, about 26 years old, with a scar in the middle of his forehead, from the public estates which Horos himself is cultivating near Theogonis, five arourai of land in one parcel, in what goes by the name of Meleleus, by the schoinion of ninety-six cubits, for sowing in full cultivation and cutting and drying haym for the coming twenty-first year of Tiberius Caesar Augustus, Ptolemaios supplying himself with seed, but the lessor maintaining the irrigation channels and dykes and assuming the oversight of the green crops, and for this Horos has received the price in cash in advance, from hand to hand, out of the house, and Horos guarantees the lease from public and private claims of every kind.
- Signatory for the lessor, Orseus, son of Papontos, about 22 years old, with a scar on his right shin.
- (2nd hand) I, Horos the elder, son of Apollonios, a Persian of the epigone, acknowledge that I have leased to Ptolemaios, son of Apion, from the public estates that I am cultivating near Theogonis, five arourai of land in one parcel in what goes by the name of Meleleus, by the schoinion of ninety-six cubits, for sowing in full and cutting and drying hay for the coming twenty-first year of Tiberius Caesar Augustus, and I have received the price in advance from hand to hand out of the house, and I guarantee (the lease) with every guarantee as aforesaid. I, Orseus, son of Papontos, wrote for him because he is illiterate.
- (3rd hand) I, Ptolemaios, son of Apion, have received the lease as aforesaid.
- (4th hand) The twentieth year of Tiberius Caesar Augustus, the fourth of the supplementary days of Mesore. Registered through Hermias, clerk of the grapheion of Talei and other villages.
- (1st hand) Horos, about 35 years old, with a scar on his right knee. Orseus, about 22 years old, with a scar on his right shin.
- (Verso) Lease of 5 arourai, (made) by Ptolemaios, son of Apion, to Horos (sic).
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich V Boak AER 1944 311 Boak AER, PMich V, 311, 1944 -- BL VII, 111 (l.12; 32). - L. 29: the papyrus has keorgo, not georgo. (PH) BL VII, 111 (l.12; 32). - L. 29: the papyrus has keorgo, not georgo. (PH)
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- P.Mich. XII, p. 16.
- Year Begin
- Year End
26424 images/descriptions are openly available.
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
- Add to Portfolio
- 3480 x 4608
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)