P.Mich.inv. 626 / Recto
About this Item
front | summary (1 items)
front | detail (4 items)
Background and Physical Properties
- Recto; Verso is blank
- Archive of Kronion son of Apion, nomographos of the grapheion of Tebtynis
- 18.3 x 27.1 cm
- Conservation Status
- Both upper corners and the lower left-hand margin are broken off
- Ann Arbor
- August 28, 19 A.D.
- either Talei or Tebtynis, Polemonos meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Tebtynis, Polemonos meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- 1921, Acquired by Kelsey from Nahman in Cairo
- Kronion son of Patynis
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Contract of Sale of Vacant Lots
- Copy of the docket, the signatures and the abstract of a (demotic?) contract by which Kronion, son of Patynis, sells the vacant lots belonging to him in Talei to Pimos, son of Orsenouphis
- Subject Headings
- Literacy--Egypt--Tebtunis (Extinct city)
- Land Ownership
- Talei (Extinct city)
- Tiberius, Emperor;
- Kronion son of Patynis and Didyme;
- Pimos son of Orsenouphis and Telemasis;
- Petermouthis son of Orseus;
- Horos son of Herakles;
- Harmiysis son of Sokoneus (Sokeus);
- Heliodoros son of Apollonides;
- Theon son of Didymos;
- Malchion ho pros to grapheion
- Talei, Polemonos meris, Arsinoite nome
- [Copy of the docket. Registered in the record office at Talei] in the fifth year of Tiberius [Caesar Augustus], on the fifth [of the intercalary days of the month Mesore].
- [Copy of the subscription]. I, Kronion, son of Patynis, [my mother being Didyme, acknowledge that I have sold] to Pimos, son of Orsenouphis, [his mother being Telemasis], the vacant lots [that belong] to me [with all the fixtures that are in them, in Talei] of the division of Polemon, [of which the measurements are from south] to north twenty [cubits], from west to east [sixteen(?) cubits . . .], or as many as there may be, and [all] the appurtenances. The neighbors are on the south the royal road, on the north the vacant lots of Petermouthis, son of Orseus, on the west the farmyard of Horos, son of Herakles, on the east the vacant lot of Harmiysis, son of Sokeus. And I have received from the purchaser the entire price agreed upon, in full, from hand to hand, out of the house, and I guarantee the sale with every guarantee forever, and I shall do the rest as aforesaid. Heliodoros, son of Apollonides, wrote for him because he is illiterate.
- Copy of the other subscription. Pimos, son of Orsenouphis, my mother being Telemasis. The aforesaid sale of the aforesaid [vacant] lots was made to me, and I gave the price agreed upon as aforesaid. Theon, son of Didymos, wrote for him because he is illiterate.
- Copy of the body (of the contract). Registered in the fifth year of Tiberius Caesar Augustus on the fifth of the intercalary days of the [month] Mesore, through Malchion, who is in charge of the grapheion of Talei and other villages in the division of Polemon of the Arsinoite nome. Contract for the sale of a vacant lot [with] all the fixtures in it, in Talei of the division of Polemon, [of which] the measurements are from south to north twenty cubits and from west to east sixteen(?) cubits, to the extent of the total measurements in cubits, as many as there may be; and of which the neighbors are on the south the royal road, [on the north] the vacant lots of Petermouthis, son of Orseus, on the west the [farmyard] of Horos, son of Herakles, on the east the vacant lots of Harmiysis, son of Sokeus; the contract being made by Kronion, son of Patynis, his mother being Didyme, (who agrees) to sell to [Pimos], son of Orsenouphis, his mother being Telemasis, and to receive the whole price agreed upon, in full, immediately, from [hand to hand], out of the house, amd to guarantee the sale forever. The signatory of the first party is Heliodoros, son of Apollonides, [about] 23 years old, with a scar beside the left calf, and that of the purchaser is Theon, son of [Didymos], about 49 years old, with a scar on the right side of his forehead. The rest in accordance.
- Papyri.info Link
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich V Husselman EM 1944 251 Husselman EM, PMich V, 251, 1944 -- BL III, 115 (l. 38-39); BL VII, 111 (l. 1) BL III, 115 (l. 38-39); BL VII, 111 (l. 1)
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- Fr. Pringsheim, The Greek Law of Sale (Weimar, 1950) p. 365, n. 1; P.Coll.Youtie I, 19, note to l. 29.
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Image Size
- 3480 x 4608
- File Size
- 2 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"P.Mich.inv. 626; Recto". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/a/apis/x-2782/0626r_a.tif. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed September 26, 2022.