Background and Physical Properties
- Recto + Verso
- 15.5 X 18 cm
- Recto - 12
- Verso - 3
- Negative in Copenhagen
- yes (+ verso)
- Conservation Status
- well preserved except for some rather large holes on the left half and for the loss of part of the lower margin
- Palaeographic Description
- See electronic version of PMich VIII, 484
- IInd century A.D.
- unknown place, province of Egypt(?)
- Karanis, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- 30-C198L-A (1)
- Iulius Clemens
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Private Letter
- Letter from Iulius Clemens to his brother(?) Arrianus, expressing deep dippointment at receiving no news from him
- Subject Headings
- Iulius Clemens (centurion) (see P. Mich. VI, 483);
- Arrianus, soldier
- Iulius Clemens to Arrianus his brother, greeting. This is now the third letter I am writing you, and you have sent me no reply, although you know that I am worried if you do not write me frequently about your affairs, and in spite of the fact that many persons come here from your vicinity. I therefore ask you, brother, . . . to write to me about your well-being, which is my prayer to all the gods. I pray for your good health.
- [- - ?] Epeiph 30(?).
- (Verso) Deliver to Arrianus, soldier of the legion . . . .
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich VIII Winter JG-Youtie HC 1951 484 Winter JG-Youtie HC, PMich VIII, 484, 1951 -- BL XI, 132 (l. 9); BL XI, 132 (l. 9);
- Year Begin
- Year End
26400 images/descriptions are openly available.
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
- Add to Portfolio
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)